California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

2. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Too early to tell for sure, but it looks like the rooster chicks combs are wider, slightly raised and turning pink. A couple of the obvious ones have bright red feathers starting to show on the top of their heads. Another week and I think you will be able to tell on the wheaten colored ones. The roosters will start to get black and gold patches on the wings and breast. The wheaten marked pullet's breasts and shoulder feathers stay cream colored. I have so many gorgeous colored EE chicks out of this blue wheaten rooster, that I have decided to keep all of the pullets for now. I will keep some of the prettiest ones for my layer flock. [​IMG] If you like you can post pictures of your chicks and I will try and guess their sexes [​IMG]

3. chicksnthestiks

chicksnthestiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2012
    Gold Country, CA
    Hi Megan, nice to meet you. Ron showed us pictures he took of the adult EO's and Pita Pinta's, just beautiful. Look forward to chick pictures.

4. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    Nice! Last year my Silkie roos started crowing at 14 week (all four of them). We had to find them new homes. I wish I could have kept them longer. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Around here I hear the turkeys more than see them. It is impressive to see them fly up 20 feet and perch in the pine and fir trees. We have a little more than an acre of trees behind the house, (growing ground for all the poision oak I keep getting), and I very rarely see them. They do cruise through the neighbors yard occasionally. Some friends of ours have had problems with wild turkeys tearing up and eating their gardens, not good when trying to grow for farmers markets.

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Welcome back Megan!

I am back from getting the Blue Egg Layers to Jason! Of course I came home with beautiful eggs to hatch...

7. chickee

They are so pretty! I want to add a pair to my bantam flock in the future. I plan to have pairs of many different bantams in a pen for just pets to enjoy!

9 d'Anver eggs are going strong! [​IMG]

8. chickee

I am just starting with the d'Anvers (only have a pair I hatched last year and eggs in the incubator) so I can't tell you much, except that d'Anvers are super cute and friendly! I adore mine!

Here is a picture of mine around the same age as yours. They go through a scraggly stage [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    They are soooooo cute! We have a flock of wild turkeys that come around, there are so many! At least 50 of them. Last week we had a lonely male turkey hanging around, but I haven't seen him this week.

10. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    CALI CHICK,
    I can't ID the chicks in your picture but I do know they aren't quail d'anvers. "Quail" chicks are a charcoal gray with coppery colored cheeks, once you see it, it is distinct. I always check the assorted bantam shipments for anything quail colored, haven't found any yet but I keep looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by