California - Northern

actually i do know, they apparently went up to Ross and back, due to a mistaken zip code -- so at least they didn't fly anywhere, have "just" been in a mail truck.  

how best to balance how long to rest them, vs. wanting to get them under the broody quickly since they're now 4-6 day old eggs?

Keep me posted. I could send you more if they don't work. :)

Well, I finally decided to buy one and our Costco is out of them!  Another lesson learned!  When you see something good at Costco, buy it then or you'll be sorry later!

I'm not sure where you live but my husband make and sales these wonderful Coops. They are made out of redwood. 4 ft wide 8 ft long and 6 feet tall.
The box is 4 x 4 ...very heavy duty. He uses 1/2 inch welded wire .. :) they sale for $450.
I currently have 6. They make great breeding coops and grow out coops.

I'm not sure where you live but my husband make and sales these wonderful Coops. They are made out of redwood. 4 ft wide 8 ft long and 6 feet tall.
The box is 4 x 4 ...very heavy duty. He uses 1/2 inch welded wire ..
smile.png
they sale for $450.
I currently have 6. They make great breeding coops and grow out coops.
Beautiful coop! So there is room for 4 large fowl chickens? Do you sell them on craigslist?

So, DH and I were cleaning out the coop and nest boxes this afternoon. My broody was taking her twice daily constitutional so I seized the opportunity to check on her eggs. 14 days ago, I gave her 4 hopefully fertile eggs from the farm (all brown, 2 Langshan eggs & 2 Langshan/SPPR mix eggs). Last Tuesday, Monet and I candled them. I pulled out the 4 eggs and 3 showed signs of development while 1 Langshan/SPPR egg was clear and I threw it away. Based on Tuesday's candling, I assumed that I would find 3 eggs when I checked today. Low and behold, she had 10+ multi-colored eggs in her nest box! Either my other hens have been laying in her box while she is out of it or she is gathering their eggs from the other 5 nest boxes. I found 4 of them with smiley faces drawn on them so the 1 that I threw away on Tuesday was an infertile one from my layer flock! Crazy birds! So, now we are back to 4 hopefully fertile eggs that are due to hatch next Sat, I redrew the smiley faces on both sides since they were almost worn off. I had to encourage her to get back on them. She must have not liked that I messed with them. When she came back into the coop, she went into a different nest box and sat on a newly laid SS egg. I'm not sure that hatching under a broody is any less stressful!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom