California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. GallusGirl

GallusGirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Davis, CA
    Love the coop and the banties so much!
  2. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR

These are large fowl BLRW. My splash is a mutant-missing most of her tail, others will have better pics.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  3. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens tollerate cold very well, it is the heat that kills them. I have a window that stays open on both sides of my coop so the breeze can blow through, plus screened in vents around the top on two sides, and my chickens still get hot in the summer, so I had to put a screen door on the walk in door to add extra ventilation during the summer to keep them cool.

I assumed you wanted more bantams because that is what you have. Generally bantams do better with other bantams, unless they are raised as chicks with large fowl chicks. I keep my bantams separate. The Polish often get their crests picked by other breeds. I have not had that problem yet. Mine are in with my bantam blue laced red Wyandotte bantams.

Besides . . you can fit more bantams into that house than large fowl! [​IMG] Once you are hooked the numbers go up quickly! [​IMG]
  4. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Just my opinion but, bantam eggs are the cutest! You just have to have more of them.
  5. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    If you've just put chicken wire over the brooder, you can just sit the heat lamp on top of the wire until it's time to start raising it.

Gorgeous tomatoes and darling daughter!

Beautiful work on the coop Steve!
  6. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Splash laced red Wyandotte bantams~

Splash laced red large fowl Wyandottes~

Blue laced red Bantam Wyandottes~

Large fowl Blue Laced Red Wyandottes~

LF Black laced red Wyandottes~

Can you tell I like to take pictures of my chickens? [​IMG]
  7. redriver

redriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Northern California
    That just means you can get more birds!
  8. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    So pretty!! I can't wait for my BLRW eggs to hatch!!
  9. skeeve101

skeeve101 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    Thanks for the images.

Thanks for the information on raising banties and LF as chicks together. I was thinking of introducing LF pullets so they can defend themselves as new members of the flock.

And coincidentally, how do you introduce new birdies to the flock? I remember reading awhile back to just put them into the coop in the middle of the night and when the chickens wake up, it will seem like they magically appeared but don't they need to reestablish the pecking order? Do chickens vote?

10. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Mario says they vote with their beaks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by