California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Our beds are about 4 feet wide and 48 feet long. Just about everything we go is high density, (translation-labor intensive), since we don't have that much sunny areas to grow in. Last year we planted 4/6 inches deep, about 20 inches apart and put 2 rows in the bed. After they grew up to 18 inches tall we added more soil crearing mounds. We just kept adding to the mounds until the plants died off, after a couple of weeks dug through the mounds and collected them.

2. skeeve101

skeeve101 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I finally broke down and built myself a new coop for my two sebright banties and to expand the flock. Here are some quick pictures I took.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the two banties

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think and any suggestions.

And how do I lift the two PM quota from my account? Thanks.

Steve

3. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    wow! I didnt know this! I just plant the potatoes I don't get to that start growing and pull em out when i want potatoes. but they go in the not so sunny areas so i don't know how big they would get . I may try this instead. We are having to move our garden to the front of the house on the hill this year . The garden 'plot' in the back does not get enough sun so its becoming grass and chicken coops.

Does anyone know if watering grass more makes it grow quicker? Mario is debating watering it every 2 days instead of twice a week so there is more for the chickens to eat. I know they keep it too short for it to grow fast ( or I remember reading mowing lawn short makes it grow less?) but he thinks they will like having more to graze on.

4. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    Beautiful!!![​IMG]

5. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    nice! I have coop envy. It goes up when you up your post count. They just don't want spammers to create accounts and go wild.

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Wow!

It all looks very nice! Beautiful Sebrights too!

Most things start working after 20 posts, so Post a bunch!

The Mods and Administrators are protecting us from Robots and etc.(Not like Terminator....)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  7. ChickNmamma

ChickNmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, that's beautiful. When can I move in?[​IMG]

I think once you post a LOT more your PM quota expands. Go over and introduce yourself and then talk a lot...

OH, and [​IMG]

8. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA

9. skeeve101

skeeve101 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    Thanks everyone.

@Ron, I was thinking about Terminators when you said Robots...hahaha

@ChickNMamma, funny because that's exactly what my neighbor said. She said I just need to install plumbing and she is ready to move in.

The project took 3 full weekends and now I realize I it was overkill for a flock of 2-4 birds. The coop is 4'W x 5'L x 5'H. I wanted to be able to get inside and clean.

Steve

10. chicksnthestiks

chicksnthestiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2012
    Gold Country, CA
    You certainly take pride in your work, great job! Do you have anything on the ramp for traction?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by