California - Northern

Welcome Skeeve101,
Great looking coop and room for more. These fine people will have it filled up in no time unless you have an iron will, the rest of us don't seem to be able to resist "just one more breed"

This garden talk is making me hungry. I've finally been able to plant in my garden this week (after several plant sacrifices and lots of chicken wire). I'm having garden veggie withdrawl's, and I've used up the last of the veggies I canned last year.
sad.png

From last year's garden

Not yet. The birds seem to get up and down without any issue right now. I will have to add the traction when time allows and before the rain. with the coop ready, I am eager to complete the flock with 2-3 more hens...caught the chicken bug like everyone here.

I like the patterns on the sebrights. Ron suggested laced wyandotts and polish(es?). Any other suggestions?

Steve

also just realized my avatar is a hawk...I wanted to be funny since I was lurking and learning without saying much before. I think I will change that icon now, I don't think it is funny for those that have hawks around.

Steve

Hi everyone,

I finally broke down and built myself a new coop for my two sebright banties and to expand the flock. Here are some quick pictures I took.

and the two banties

Let me know what you think and any suggestions.

And how do I lift the two PM quota from my account? Thanks.

Steve
Wow
ep.gif
You did a great job on your coop! Only thing I see, and this is very important, is lack of ventilation (If that is the only screened window in front.) It will be ok if you can safely keep the window open at night, otherwise you need to put heavy hardware cloth on the inside of the window and keep it open. Lack of proper ventilation will cause your chickens upper respiratory problems.

Very pretty Sebright chickens too! If you want to add more bantams to your flock, I have bantam blue laced red Wyandotte and bantam buff Brahma chicks, plus a pair of splash laced red Wyandotte bantams
lol.png
Lots of pretty chickens available from other people on this thread too
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
also just realized my avatar is a hawk...I wanted to be funny since I was lurking and learning without saying much before. I think I will change that icon now, I don't think it is funny for those that have hawks around.

Steve
I love hawks, so wasn't bothered by it at all
big_smile.png

The bantam buff Brahmas are great because they are calm and great layers. Polish bantams take more care. They aren't supposed to get their crests wet (mine are in a covered kennel) crests trimmed so they can see, and their toenails grow long and also need trimming.

Last edited:
Thanks Chickee.

Ventilation was one of my thoughts. The screened window is made of welded hardware cloth stapled to the inside of the coop. I keep it closed at night fearing the chickens might be cold...maybe I will keep it open. Also where the coop walls meet the roof joists, there is a three inch gap/opening all around. Maybe I will add additional circular aluminum vents on both sides of the coop. I bought them already from OSH but didn't want it too cold for the chickens.

A flock of banties...hmm let me toss that idea around.

Steve

google image doesn't do justice to see the difference between a blue laced red wyandotte and a splash lace red wyandotte...can someone enlighten me?

better yet, post some pictures of the two?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom