California - Northern

Amazing! I have seen them turning the clutch while sitting and have seen them roll eggs to a different location, but to actually carry an eggs takes some determination. Or maybe obsession is a better word? Bet they would be really good at that party game where people pass an orange (or something) down the line using only chins!

i haven't seen this myself, yet, but have been finding enough eggs in odd places (or just missing entirely, vanished with no trace) with my four broodies to think that they MUST have some way of moving them besides just nudging them along -- thanks for all the detail, folks!

Last night Mariah and her friend came downstairs while I was candeling the EO eggs. Her friend had never seen "Tiny Dancers", we had 5 of them that she could see clearly, so far so good! That was the fun part, not lloking forward to planting pototoes and tilling beds today.

lau.gif
Silly chickens!

If she really wants to lay on 10 eggs, give her some fake ones?
That's an idea! I cooked up all the eggs that I collected yesterday since I wasn't sure on the age and fed them back to the flock this morning. They were thrilled!

Last night Mariah and her friend came downstairs while I was candeling the EO eggs. Her friend had never seen "Tiny Dancers", we had 5 of them that she could see clearly, so far so good! That was the fun part, not lloking forward to planting pototoes and tilling beds today.
fun fun fun.
You know potato farmers will not eat the potatos they grow supermarkets lol.
They grow there own under different conditions in different spots of the garden lol.

I have to ask, always wanted to know how does a hen move eggs from one nest box to another?
idunno.gif
People talk about them 'stealing' eggs from others, but how do they do it? Pockets?
yuckyuck.gif
Pocketsies?!!! I've never seen them do it but I'm going to be watching closely this week!

Last edited:
fun fun fun.
You know potato farmers will not eat the potatos they grow supermarkets lol.
They grow there own under different conditions in different spots of the garden lol.
I grew up near Tulelake and the things they sell at supermarkets and call potatos are a joke. Most of those things woild have been culls that got stuck in the belts. They are a new crop for us so we will see how they do, the ones we had growing in the cupboard last year did fine when we stuck them in the ground.

I used my camera tripod to hang the light on by it's clip holder. That way I could adjust the height of the light to what the chicks were comfy with - and move it further away as they needed less and less heat. I also had the legs spread as wide as possible - so it couldn't be tipped over.
Last year, I used my camera tripod, too. But I always try to also secure it a second way just in case. This year, I have both of my lamps wired to two different hooks fastened into wall studs. So, 2 lamps each wired to two different hooks. I adjust the length of the wire to reduce the heat as they get older. My husband accuses me of overkill in all things chicken but I sure don't want to kill any when I could have prevented it. When it comes to those lamps, I sure don't want one to fall and cause a fire.

I grew up near Tulelake and the things they sell at supermarkets and call potatos are a joke. Most of those things woild have been culls that got stuck in the belts. They are a new crop for us so we will see how they do, the ones we had growing in the cupboard last year did fine when we stuck them in the ground.
I want to try and grow potatos this year!! I have them ready to plant, but I need to make a container to put them in. I've read that you should plant them in a potato "tower" and add more dirt as they grow. How did they turn out last year?

Last year, I used my camera tripod, too. But I always try to also secure it a second way just in case. This year, I have both of my lamps wired to two different hooks fastened into wall studs. So, 2 lamps each wired to two different hooks. I adjust the length of the wire to reduce the heat as they get older. My husband accuses me of overkill in all things chicken but I sure don't want to kill any when I could have prevented it. When it comes to those lamps, I sure don't want one to fall and cause a fire.
It's only overkill if nothing happens right? I use chains to hang them so I don't have to worry about them being bumped and falling. I never know whats coming through my laundty room, ladders, lumber......

I want to try and grow potatos this year!! I have them ready to plant, but I need to make a container to put them in. I've read that you should plant them in a potato "tower" and add more dirt as they grow. How did they turn out last year?
That works. Tires work good too or cut up old plastic pots. add some soil and put straw on top. as they grow repeat makes your crop yield much more as the potatos will form in the straw and our easier to harvest

Back
Top Bottom