California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Marans, ESPECIALLY big eggs, can take a while to hatch. But they can also get too big to turn in the egg and kill themselves. I can't tell from your post for sure, were they shipped or did you pick them up? Shipping seems especially hard on big eggs becuse of he membrane streaching.

If you just got 1 pip now, id wait for 3 days from the pip to declare anything a dud.

2. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    I hate that I can't remember this (I'm sure I've asked you several times before) but are your Polish large fowl?

Congratulations on such great hatching success! I'm having a hatching issue right now, 1/2 are shipped but only one has even pipped and they were due yesterday....anyway, the pipped one was not shipped.....

3. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA

4. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Welcome Steve and what an awesome coop!! Those two girls and some spoiled little things! Glad you found BYC while you have room in your coop. Nothing worse then finding access to so many breeds and have to go to work building another coop.
    I introduce them between fences. Let them get use to each other being there, then let them free range together and then put them in the coop at night. Some will just follow into the coop when they put themselves to bed but others walked around trying to find somewhere else to sleep.

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Hi Pam,

The cooling cycle should not hurt them at hatch. It is not needed then is all.

You have a pip! That always is a relief to me--It means I am going to have chicks hatch soon.[​IMG]

6. chiqita

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    In my limited experience, shipped Marans eggs are a b*tch. The membrane stretches and the chicks get too big. OK, I know the chicks get too big in shipped eggs, I guessing from research its the membranes.

Not that this helps you much, but if you REALLY want shipped Marans eggs to hatch, weigh them for the first 10 days and adjust humidity accordingly.

But, that being said, nothing is done until 3 days after the fist pip, and big eggs take more time. I don't think it was your incubator or the cooling phase, its just the nature of the process. focus on your pipped egg!

7. lualshannon

lualshannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Sonoma County, Ca.
    I wish you best of luck with your babies who are about to hatch! How nice! I love her photo which she looks so sweet and maternal..

I really hope that all goes wonderfully; each and every egg hatches successfully! Try to keep your heart at ease for everything always works out for the best!

8. MossyoakLane

MossyoakLane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Sonoma County, CA

I don't have time to go through all the posts to see if anyone has posted this.... http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml
    Also.....I know there is a great website just for Sonoma County landlords and tenants....but I can't find it on a quick search. I will try to find it later.

9. chiqita

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
  10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

[​IMG]Yes, someone could get into big trouble with these!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by