California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oooh, thanks for sharing this! I'm gonna be be-bopping to it all day, now.
    :D

2. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Sorry to hear of the loss of Fronzy, sounds like he left big shoes to fill.

Chiqita, he'll show up just as you sit down to dinner if your luck is like mine.

Great news on the many new fluffy butts joining the ranks and the wonderful coops being built.

3. Nikon

Nikon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Nevada County, CA
    My Coop

Lol! Hey now I'm 27 :p loved the Fonz. He actually didn't have a name but after house sitting for his owners I dubbed him the Fonz. He would make like a warning sound that reminded me okie dokie Fonzy saying "hey".

4. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    first two (of six) chicks have hatched! got home early from work and found TWO little chicks wobbling around, I'm pretty sure one is one of the four SFH, the other seems to be the SFH/CL cross -- so excited to see them!

[​IMG]
    eleanor and her new baby chick!

[​IMG]
    the only picture i could get of the two babies without upsetting eleanor too much -- the chipmunk stripes of the one on the left suggest it's the CL/SFH cross, and if the auto-sexing traits hold with a mutt, she should be a little girl!

[​IMG]
    the SFH chick, while mama in the background tries to show it how to eat -- it prefers to pose!

four more eggs to go!

5. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope I am understanding your question . . . Yes, BLRW do not breed true, so you get blue laced, black laced and splash laced reds when breeding blue x blue.

I do not think the black came from the Wyandottes. Must have come from your rooster. I have never gotten a black chick from a BLRW cross. Unlikely if it is solid black that it will develop lacing, just color leakage.

If you end up hatching chicks with any of these colorations then they will likely have lacing~

Black Laced Red Wyandotte chicks~

[​IMG]

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chicks~
    [​IMG]

These are bantam blue laced red and splash laced red chicks~ I have not hatched any black laced red bantams yet~

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

That is too bad! I have lost several roosters that were protecting the flock, so I know how sad that can be [​IMG]

Have you decided which rooster chick is going to be his replacement?

7. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Yeah.... Autosexing doesn't hold true to the next gen.....
    But! If they get a salmon Brest you have a girl. If that holds. I don't know about sfh color genetics.

8. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 roosters- my banty BLRW and my giant Marans. That's all I have running around.

I have 2 sizzle roos penned up (one is a blue).

I have 1 banty BLRW hen.

So it's only her eggs I collected (they are tiny)- I am getting black skinned, 4 toed, hairy footed chicks with this hatch. The one that I thought was pure...I checked more thoroughly as she has fluffed out and she is clearly not pure BLRW. I need to get some decent pics. But the second chick that hatched her skin is not black black like the first chick's is.

This is driving me crazy! lol

9. lawatt

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    ok, i will hold off in assigning gender -- it has clear chipmunk stripes, nice dark eyeliner, and no spot on the head -- but will wait and see! they are both very active and curious so far -- and there are three more SFHs and a birchen marans left to hatch.

yay!!

10. lawatt

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    and actually, as i look at the size of the chicks vs. the lip on their nesting box, i'm going to have to move them -- i assume i should wait until ALL the eggs have hatched? (rather than moving now with two hatched and four to go?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by