California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Megan it is ok! It is tedious but happens.

When they say opening up the incubator too much they do not mean opening it once to take out chicks. In reality, shrink wrap and stuck chicks happens because of things during the first 18 days. Usually it is temperature related, too much humidity(remember, first 18 days) and shipping stress.

They get stuck because they did not absorb the yolk completely. When they get stuck and can't finish zipping then the membrane dries out. That is going to happen if you open the incubator or not! It is not humidity specific.

Watch the ones you helped--they will probably get pasty butt. I would get them vitamin water, Plain yogurt and give them some chick grit(not parrot grit and nothing with calcium). Yes I know the grit is not necessary to digest the food but it does help get the chicks digestion going.

I use a Q tip and warm water to get the poo off of the chicks vent. You need to be careful that you do not hurt the chicks vent getting the poo off. My last hatch was shipped eggs, both from the same State, shipped on the same day and with the same breed but from two different breeders. The nicely packed eggs hatched 6 of 8 with no problems at all. The poorly shipped package had 1 of 7 make it to lockdown. It zipped and did not get out so I had to help it. Today it had a bad case of sticky butt. There were 6 bantam eggs in the same package and of the 4 that made it to lockdown, 2 hatched fine but one pipped and had amber goo come out and by the time I tried to clear the pip, the chick had drowned. All of these eggs were incubated and hatched together.

2 people like this.
  3. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Go chickies! I hope you have a great hatch!

It sounds like you have the problem under control so go put the back in and see how they do! Chickens are reset after 3 days so expect some pecking order adjustment--which may help with breaking the eggs too.

4. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    I think the hatch is done. I was pleasantly surprised this morning when there were 4 more chicks instead of the three I expected.

So my stats went:
    5 of 13 shipped hatched 38% hatch rate
    6 of 10 traveled by car, hatched 60% hatch rate.
    And my one egg from my Blue Copper Marans hatched, we'll give me a 100% haha
    50% overall hatch rate :( but it could have been worse so Ill take it. Everyone looks healthy and I'm off to a good start with Black/Blue (hopefully Splash someday) Marans!
    [​IMG]

5. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Chiqita has given you great advice and I am happy to hear you will with them!

Brinsea specific: Turn on the cooling cycle on day 7 for 2 hours. Turn it off on day 14. Close the vent(brinsea has a slider) half way for the first 7 days and then open it up all the way for the rest of incubation and hatching. I set my thermostat control to 100.3 to get the temperature to 99.6 at egg level The Brinsea spot check goes through the vent and down to egg level.

General: Death at the end of incubation can be caused by carbon dioxide poisoning. Dead air around the incubator can cause this. I am not complete convinced that temperature caused the one row to die. Was that side closer to a wall or something that may have caused dead air?

Finally you are dong very well with Marans! If you were hatching EEs they all would have hatched! What you are doing now is fine tuning with little adjustments. This is great! [​IMG]

6. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Your chicks look great Pam. [​IMG]Congratulations!

Did you eggtopsy the rest to see where they quit?

7. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Pam that is/has been me over the last week and I am only on day 18!

Beautiful! I am impressed that you did this on your own I have two left hands and no concept of space...It's documented [​IMG]
    So happy that your hatch started and ended as well as it has. Nice work!

Precious!!!

Really sweet and cute little one. Sorry for your disappointment you know your sizzle is struttin a little more than normal today right?

Yay for hatching Marans! Excellent work and what a great thing to wak up to!

Blue Australorp = [​IMG]

Ohhhhhhh. What a great and beautiful roo. I love roo stories like his. True gentlemen roosters are the best!

Wooot Woooot! I can not wait to get a broody. Hope whomever she is does as well as yours!

These are sooooo beautiful!

Those markings are stunning!
    I think you did fabulously with them. Congrats!

Ron thanks for the advice re reuniting my jailbirds. They appreciate it. Thanks also for the hatching hand holding. From now on I think I will have all shipped eggs sent to YOU [​IMG] to maximize their chances...all other eggs wil be via car trip and hatched under a broody. This hatch has had me [​IMG] and[​IMG]

8. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    that sucks and is scary. I hope it works out for you.
    I do open and close the bator more then I should and get sticky chicks. I help. As long as the yolk is fully absorbed its fine. If is not they can get bacteria and its bad. I blame grabbing quail, its not quick! On owls parentage, here is my guesses. His mother was mahogany red partridge pullet. His father was either! Ginger a red silkie or Iggy a white showgirl. I'm about 90% sure Iggy underlining genes are blue partridge.( Iggy also is missing one of his silked genes but that didn't get passed on so its a moot point here.) I get chicks in the colors you have there on occation. They are more red then black as adults like flame. Not sure if I have a pic of flame he was defanitly ginger/mahogany chick.

9. Meg2000000

Meg2000000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Concord, CA
    Ron - I only took the top half of the egg off. Two of them have two chicks with heads and necks exposed. Should I take the rest of the egg shell off?

10. Meg2000000

Meg2000000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Concord, CA
    Here's some pics of some of the stuck ones:
    [​IMG]
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/24/eby7a8a3.jpg[/IMG
    I read to put them on damp paper towels so that's what I did. The second pictures eggs made a ton of progress since then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by