California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012

2. Meg2000000

Meg2000000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Concord, CA
    x2!
    Are the chicks fully feathered yet? If so, you don't need the heat lamp anymore and you can start turning down the stove. It snowed where you live last week?? That's awesome! Last week I wore shorts.. it got pretty hot!

3 more Pita Pintas and 2 Basques are out of the eggs. One of the Basques hatched before it absorbed it's yoke all of the way (probably my fault for helping too soon) and it had a long bloody thing coming out of it's vent (umbilical cord like). The thing fell off but now it looks like the insides are coming out of him. The weirdest thing is that he's walking around normally like the other chicks that just hatched. I am leaving him in the incubator and we'll see what happens.. [​IMG]

3. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    thanks to both you and Megan -- i've been watching her all evening, and she first moved herself around to a spot closer to food AND water, and took the chicks plus two of the four eggs with her (i'm pretty sure the two that had been warmer earlier) -- then she relocated entirely back into the nest box, without any eggs, but when i loved them for her eagerly tucked them under her feathers.

so, i fear that my moving of the whole nest might have confused her a bit, she's torn between teaching the chicks new things vs. staying on the remaining eggs. if there's no sign of a pip tomorrow, i think i'll assume the remaining eggs are done -- and will hold off on any moves with the remaining broodies until all eggs are hatched!

learning, learning...
    laura

4. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    sounds like you're doing an amazing job helping them along -- bravo!!! hope the troubled one pulls through...

5. 18Peeps

18Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Good to know. I learn something every day here.

6. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Yes, Crested Legbars, bantam Buff Brahma, Columbian Cochin and Olandsk Dwarfs.

It was nice meeting you and thanks for the recommendation on the Getaway Café. We have tons of leftovers, we should have split one hamburger!

7. redriver

redriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Northern California
    I wouldn't say that they are fully feathered, but they are close.

If you take I-5 North until you are about 20 miles from the Oregon border, you will be where I live.

I kept seeing you guys post about the heat and I was like, "Heat? What heat?" We ALMOST got up to 70 degrees today. :p People here are so used to the cooler weather that they have been wearing shorts and skirts on and off for a while now. I work in the local school district and there are some kids who wear short sleeves year round. We are always yelling at them to put their coats on and they always tell us, "But I'm not cold!"

They will do okay even down to the 30's at night?

8. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    yes most a few are my crele penedesenca and white empordanesa
    I have some that I got from Candy here. Candy I can not remember when lol but are probably close to the same age.
    I took the heat off last weekend and they are outside in a uninsulated coop
    nice !

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Yes, when they are fully feathered the chicks can make it to 0 degrees. They do need to be out of the wind and rain but they take cold very well. Wait another week if they do not have all of their feathers.

[​IMG] Post a picture!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  10. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    OK I am trying to remember all the questions..laura I'm betting if she is off the eggs you had one chick hatch early. You should have 3 days after the first hatch. Chicks don't have to eat so if she can reach the food she won't move. After 3 days the remaining eggs are in jeporody.

In your position I would stick the eggs under the next broodies and watch for chicks. If any hatch pull them and stick them with the already hatched hens brood. The one still sitting seems to stay if they don't have chicks. I may or may not have done that a lot. Lol.

I should have told you to watch and move the extra eggs if she is a mover. Some hens can't count to 3.

As for chicks. As has been said once they are feathered in they are good to go. I don't know that they all feather in at 6 weeks. But once there back and breastbone are good you usually are OK as long as lTS not freezing. They puff up to stay warm. Look for them trying to sleep on the roost not cuddled together.

Silkies feather in slower so it can take longer. You need to check on the density of their coat. Showgirls especially often have areas they don't get feathes and those need to be completely covered before you let them go. Especially check breast and butt.

Its one of the reasons breeding showgirl to showgirl can be problematic. Makes them easy to pluck however!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by