California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Getting the brooding room set up for my new babies. Got the humidity up in the bator...was it Deb who suggested sanitary napkins? They work like a charm. I soaked them with bottled water and they are keeping things nice and humid in there. I like it because you know they are clean. I so hope I have the experience of waking up and finding they have all hatched while I was sleeping any way to ensure that happens[​IMG]

Gotta say I am looking forward to the end of the hatch. Unlike Deerling I do not have the bug[​IMG]

2. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    ooohhh a glossary... I had no idea Thanks!

The Getaway Cafe??? Deb this has the sounds of a clandestine drug...errrgh ...chick deal. Thinking of my future SPRs and smiling [​IMG]

3. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I stress a little hatching, it's not enough to keep me from loading it again though.

Looks like 1 of the basque eggs quit so I'm down to 10. 2 I'm unsure about so they are still in there. I'm surprised nothing has gone stiny the way the box smelled when they delivered it.

The lone boy from my first hatch is 2.5+ months old and is just now getting feathers on his back. That lovely 1/2 chicken 1/2 porcupine stage, freaks me out picking him up. I do like the dark red thats coming in.

Deerling, didn't you post earlier about the crow driving off the hawk. I have pairs of both that nest close. I have the benefit of indicator species for West Nile close by. Friends of ours had their resident crows die, turned out to be WN. So far nothing has turned up on our end and I'm good with that.

4. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    re avian predators. last year we would put our chicks out on the back porch and I swear to you it was like a scene from The Birds. Jays congregated HEAVILY in the walnut tree right next to our babies and just hung out and watched them. Creeped me out so I came to BYC to ask about it and sure enough they will go after your littles.

Thanks OR 4-Hmom I imagine that if I had a 6 egg Brinsea and local eggs I'd relax a bit..[​IMG].maybe next Christmas that's what I will ask for. Manageable number of eggs and it manages the whole darn thing for you,

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  5. ChickNmamma

ChickNmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]... You ATE a showgirl?

Did it taste like chicken? [​IMG]

My understanding of the original Turken (Naked Neck) cross was created to produce a chicken that had 25% less feathers, making it easier to pluck. Breeding NN x NN to make homozygous NN = smooth neck - and takes off 25% more feathers. Keep on doing that and you will get a nekkid chicken!

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    My littles were never that little until this year! Even the hatchery Black Australorps were pretty big by 6 weeks. I haven't seen any scrub Jays around here in year or so. Do you think the big girls ate them?[​IMG]

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    My oldest DD works for Chow Down Farms--the sell chickens, Guinea hens, Rabbits and Quail at Farmers Markets.

Last year at Halloween they sold Silkies in San Francisco....

8. Ali707

Ali707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX
    Well heck! I didn't see that recommendation! How is it I miss so much stuff on here?

Sponges when new tend to smell like sulphur to me and I don't like that smell. Anything not freshly opened is bacteria haven.

Great idea! I wonder how long they stay wet? We shall see. I am going to lock down on day 19 which is Friday.

9. Ali707

Ali707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX

Not sure why that struck me as so funny, but I can't stop chuckling!!!!!!

You ATE a Showgirl?!?!?!?! (Lolol. Lol. Lol )

What, was the late night buffet closed? I thought Vegas never slept???

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  10. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    All the genetics makes my head spin but I pictued a nekked chicken and [​IMG] poor things. I like things with hair/feathers. They just look warmer.
    I do think it's possible. My Big Girl Vivian got a lizzard the other day and you should have seen the chicken chase that ensued. In the end I think she only got a leg but she kept fighting for it. I imagine a Scrub Jay would be no match,

Also one of my AL's had her neck all extended looking around today and it reminded me of your chick picture. When one of my ALs stops laying I hope you will still have Blues

Oh, and Ron, Dotty and BuckBeak wanted me to say thanks for giving me permission to release them from chicken jail...7 for 6 today. 6 normal 1 layed at dusk with a soft shell. Don't know who laid it but got it out of the coop before anyone broke it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by