California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Silkies and showgirls are fried ( a little tough) or soup.

I take roosters back. One has to do something with them!

Process them painlessly and with love I say!

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Clean the sponge with hot water and soap. Rinse the soap out and wring out the water.

Then put the sponge into the microwave for about a minutet. It will be sterile and can go into the incubator.

I have not used sanitary napkins but if I did I would put it into a glass storage container and put water to just over the top. Sponges last 2 to 3 days.

3. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I swear I will take this no further... Ali?????

Ron I am going to put them in the glass bowls tomorrow. Great Idea!

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I was going to add and why would I? to the end of that but did not want to go too far past family friendly....

5. Ali707

Ali707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX

:D:lol:

You know I did read that sentence a couple of times....... Thought to myself, "well that is a good thing I guess." Unless of course Ron is short for Ronda......

But Ron is the best and ALWAYS helps me with my redundant questions I am sure he has answered many times before. Sooooooo I was gonna let it go tommysgirl!!!!!. :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  6. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    If my memory serves, the creators of NN were doing just that, then they found that the skin became so tough without the feathers they put some back on the birds.

7. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

8. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I use alot of sponges at lockdown, I have two I put under the vent holes so I can squirt them easily, unless the chicks are sleeping on them. They are so cute sleeping in the cartons.

9. threadgeek

threadgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Weird, my multi quote function isn't working.
    Ali707 - your showgirl comment had me [​IMG]

Here's a couple updates on my end...

I made this over the weekend for a friend's wedding shower gift...

[​IMG]

And a couple pics of the babies... not so much babies anymore! They are 4.5 weeks now and I think I'm starting to see who is a boy and girl. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my favorites are girls. I started giving them outside time in a makeshift run.

[​IMG]

One of my favorites... Lucy
    [​IMG]

The hen who was attacked by the bobcat is totally healed! [​IMG] I can't believe how quickly she recovered. She is now regrowing her feathers where they were torn out, the poor thing has been looking kind of silly with a bald back, choppy neck, and 3 tail feathers!

Someone earlier mentioned being a country girl in the city... well I'm the opposite! I'm an urban girl recently transplanted in the woods! I had an ongoing issue with a mouse building nests in my car heater and it finally escalated last weekend when I turned on my heater and heard another loud thumping sound. I quickly turned it off but a few days later this TERRIBLE smell developed. [​IMG] So I left the windows open last night and this morning there was a torn open bag of nuts on my driver's seat. Looks like some raccoon or skunk had a party in there last night - but I digress. [​IMG] The stink was completely unbearable today, I had to drive with the windows down and even then it was bad. Its a good thing we have nice weather at the moment! DH took apart the system and found a maggot-filled mouse carcass somewhere in the vent. EWWWWWW. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I'm just glad he got it! I hope this solves that stink issue. Ugh.

10. threadgeek

threadgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

And Chiqita - I love Ugly Boy!!!! I think he is adorable! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by