California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. ChickNmamma

ChickNmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

2. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

My last 3 chicken eggs went into lockdown. I'm kinda sad. I have a friend whom I have the chicken fever too- I may hatch for her at some point. Lol.

BUT I do have gosling eggs in the bator so all is not lost! Once these hatch (or not) then I am goin through my chicken flock and getting rid of a few birds. Then getting some welsummer eggs. Hehe

I need to hatch some more duck eggs though - see if my appleyards eggs are making it into the coop. I suspect they are laying them on the pond. Darn ducks!

3. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Mice...ergh! I can almost picture what that smells like. Hope the eradication program took care of the problem! When I was little my grandpa went out to the barn in overalls and a mouse ran up his leg, up under his shirt and all the way to his shoulder where it was caught and squished. I think of that story whenever I see one scurrying around and it makes me want to stand on a chair...
    [​IMG]
    I would like to see a pic of your paint showgirls...it does remind me of performance art though. Re the SPRs we'll see what you have going on in June. Don't worry about it. I am just happy to know that I know where to get some.

4. chicksnthestiks

chicksnthestiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2012
    Gold Country, CA
    So glad you hen made it. That is just incredible. I have the same problem with mice in my truck. They dont get in my husbands and mine is newer. A couple of years ago I was driving with the airconditioner on and I heard the fan make a loud clunck but it kept running. A couple days later it started to stink. I had to take things apart to get into the vent system and with a gloved hand found a dead mouse. In two parts!

5. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    I have to bathe my Delawares this weekend. They are totally disreputable

I have the radio playing next to the bator...a little Ke$ha to encourage pipping. Nothing so far. Ron I did put the SN into a glass bowl like you recommended. Things fit better now and it is easier to keep it wet via the vent hole when there is a bowl to catch errant water.

6. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Are your last 3 supposed to hatch on Sat? I have 3 developing eggs under my broody hen and Sat is day 21 for them. This is the first time that I have had a broody actually hatch eggs. We gave this same hen day old chicks that she did a wonderful job of raising them. Another broody incubated 4 eggs to day 18 and then she was killed so they hatched in the incubator. So this is very exciting and nerve wracking at the same time!

I have a young quad of Welsummer chicks and I love them! They are so friendly! I have my fingers crossed that the boy doesn't crow early. I really want to keep them here in town for as long as I can!

7. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have about 16 hens. I have 2 roosters. I have 4 hens with varying states of baldness. Just those girls. One is the worst. She is my meanest orp hen- her back and the back of her head has been stripped clean. I feel so bad for her. One of my EEs also has a stripped back (but not the other EE). I don't have too many roosters so I don't get all the bare backs. My top roo is a teeny bantam. My Marans too only gets to nail a couple hens when the Banty roo isn't looking.

Will their feathers grow back? I feel so bad for them. They look so pathetic, my poor favorited hens. I have some hens - like Betty who is absolutely pristine. Perfect shape lol- no poopy butt and no bare patches. I suspect she is top hen because the only one that mate her that I have seen is my Marans roo. The sizzle Roos tried a couple months ago and she flogged the crud out of them for trying. They ran away squawking. Lol Man I love that hen.

But anyway back to my bare backed hens...they should be molting soon right? Many of them are about a year old now give or take a few weeks....I don't want their chicken skin to get burnt.

Is there an inexpensive place to buy those little apron things? I just want to protect their bare skin at this point- from the roosters and the sun.

8. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Originally Posted by threadgeek
    The hen who was attacked by the bobcat is totally healed! [​IMG] I can't believe how quickly she recovered. She is now regrowing her feathers where they were torn out, the poor thing has been looking kind of silly with a bald back, choppy neck and 3 tail feathers.

This is great news! Good Job, and the apron is darling.

9. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    I don't have an answers but I love your description of Betty.

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    There were some posts on the Heritage thread about the baldness being caused by feather quality issues. I have seen the saddles for sale somewhere but if you are handy with a sewing machine they should be fairly easy to make your self.

Sorry about the featherless hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by