California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. MossyoakLane

MossyoakLane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Sonoma County, CA
    Funny, my daughter just asked if she could give the chickens last names. She had a list already......Fluffy bottoms, Ruffle Butt, etc..... I told her to go for it.

2. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    I have all sized chickens in my flock, from tiny D'uccles to my LF Cochin. I've never had any problems with them not getting along. That being said, there is something about a big fat hen that I love. At this point if I had a choice between Bantam or LF of the same breed I would get the big one. I would probably have a whole flock of Cochins, if they laid bigger eggs.... [​IMG]

3. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, I am the same: all sizes in my flock. Also with a preference for the biggest, fluffiest birds (although I dearly love Alice, my 3 year old Silver Sebright). And third, I have one Cochin and I want more just like her!

5. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    I just picked up my gold laced orpington and jubilee orpington hatching eggs today, and oh my I didn't realiz how humongous they are! They're even more fluffy and beautiful then I thought. Pictures just don't do them justice. Well anyways I am VERY excited to set them tomorrow when my gold laced brahmas arrive :)

6. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    how many do you have? I have 12 together so a few snuggle and the rest roost. If you have 5 or 6 you should be fine. mine are fully feathered and our a ok
    [​IMG]

7. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    I love the big fluffy ones, too! I can't wait to get some English Orpingtons from Deann and I love love love the Cochins and Brahmas. That's why I must

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  8. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    ok just unpacked 15 silver ameraucana eggs . changed the wafer in the bator and will let the eggs set tonight. tomorrow am in they go

9. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Pompadour is the perfect name You could make it 8 syllables by attaching " Sir" to the front and "of ___________" to the end
    Yay!!!! Best of luck with your hatch! Gold/Buff chickens are a requirement. There are hatchery BOs at the feed store...I may be able to sneak a couple into the mix undetected this weekend

Thanks for all the Bantam info. Do the little girls lay at the same rate as the bigs? When I was little we had a variety of Bantams and a single LF white girl...I am assuming she was a Leghorn. Her name was Shirley and she was my pet. Carted her around in the doll buggy on a daily basis and she went to sleep. Anyway the Bantams didn't like a 6 year old handling them...go figure... and maybe that is why I have the LF attraction. But if you can have twice as many maybe I will become a convert [​IMG]

10. GallusGirl

GallusGirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Davis, CA
    I keep banties, they're my favorite! I've had them (on and off) since I was a little girl. I had a RIR for a while as a kid, but she always seemed like she had less personality than my crazy little banties (it might have been the individual RIR hen, she was a hand-me-down farm hen and wasn't well socialized). Regardless, I love that I can easily carry banties around and put them on a shoulder. The small ones fit so nicely in the palm of a hand or the crook of an arm!The hen I had when I was little (Sebright & d'Uccle cross) always got treated like a teddy bear; I would literally set her in the doll house on my doll-sized wicker furniture, pour a little doll-sized teacup worth of water for her and set some berries or grass on a Barbie-doll plate, and I swear that hen would just sit there eating and drinking happily. Maybe I just keep banties for the sake of nostalgia!
    I also like having smaller eggs, because I don't go through eggs all that quickly. Plus smaller chickens = less mess, less feed, and smaller holes in the garden!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by