California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've missed about 13 pages and I have my posts set to 75 per page. [​IMG] No way I'm gonna catch up. I can't even keep up with this thread!

Hi y'all! [​IMG] And welcome to any newbies joining!

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    She did not act sick but laid eggs with blood on them and then there was the smell and the red irritated bum with no feathers....All better now.

3. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    A bromance is exactly what I called it! I hope I can get a picture.

I wasn't intending on having bantams (except Silkies, for my daughter (okay, okay. And me.)) but we ended up needing a companion for a weak bantam we brought home from the feed store. She actually died, but before she did we went to TSC and they make you buy at least six. Luckily they only had four left, so we just got those. We rehomed one that wasn't very friendly and the other three are by far the sweetest we have. I love them so much. Lefty, our frizzle, will cry and run to me and jump into my hands. So will Tuck, our Quail Antwerp. So that's why we'll be keeping bantams. They're too cute not to. [​IMG]

Shantih, we named our other two frizzles! The black one is Anouk and the blue one, very creatively, is Blue.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No offense made to Deb in the least, but we clearly have a different definition of "lovable". I'd better watch it or Deb will send me "surprise" eggs.[​IMG]

5. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    I started off on silkies because I thought they were popular, and I am a retailer at heart. I got 3x as many silkies as I thought I was becuse they are awesome. I have roosters, so I hatch chicks and sell eggs. I have eaten a silkie egg on occation, but never a showgirl egg!!
    ya, when the next hen starts to move, just stick the eggs under the next broodie and ninja the chicks if they hatch. I kept pumpkins sitting an extra 2 weeks that way :D She kept stealing eggs about to hatch ( how did she KNOW??) and I ket taking chicks. I'm gonna have a few scars on my hand from all the chick stealing.

For those of you that read the golden compass trillogy, I'm sure that the birds think I'm the gobblers.

I own a hair dryer! MY mother gave it to me when she moved to Australia... in 1982. It really only gets used for chickens. The question is, why do I still have it after not using it since then?
    OHH very pretty! and big! go girl go!

From Mario still stuck waiting for some vendor in Sacramento:
    http://imgur.com/KOSWs1u

6. chiqita

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    HAHA, MArio is crushed when your kids don't give the chickens names with at least 8 syllables!
    we wont tell him tell he gets home...

7. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    haha I love that story! I think our chicks believe we're the gobblers, too. They're in that stage.
    hahaha oh no! Well... hmm. Maybe I'll have to get more creative for them, I hate to disappoint. We did name one of the little babies we hatched Pompadour. There's three for him [​IMG]. Does he have any good suggestions?

[​IMG]
    This is Pompadour

8. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  9. chiqita

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    never ask MArio for suggestions for pet names. Never, ever, ever ( ever ever)

10. chiqita

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by