California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Meg2000000

Meg2000000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Concord, CA
    Aww Deb! How on earth are you a Grandma?! They are adorable!

Sweet baby. You know, my favorite hen has a bum eye. We call her Rita and she is the best!

Woohoo! Don't you just love that extra cherry on top of your hatch? Congrats!

I'm so sorry to hear about poor Ray. He sounds like an adventurous rooster and you gave him a happy home!

You should be ok! You'd be surprised how resilient these little fuzzy butts can be. I just finished my first hatch of my own and OMG talk about a psycho case! haha

Wow what a great hatch! Congrats on these gorgeous little ones!

My boyfriend always rinses off eggs that are dirty but if there's only a small speck he leaves it. I've heard to just leave them alone unless they're have lots of poop on them but he's the one that sells them to his co-workers so I turn a blind eye ;-)

Welcome to the thread 8machines!! What kind of chickens do you have?

I can't remember who asked this but - We leave eggs on the counter for up to 6 weeks... they don't refrigerate the fresh eggs in Spain so I figure we can do the same :)

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Deb - what breed of goslings?

I am considering ordering two, sexed female Toulouse goslings to give my two ganders a goose apiece. Metzer Farms is sold out, but Ideal has some hatch/ship dates available. I got my first two (a sexed pair) from Ideal but the female didn't thrive. (I thought it was the male, hence the gander named Kate. Angus was a Craig's List score.)

Chicks are adorable.

Poults are adorable and oh, so dumb at first, but then really sweet.

Ducklings are astoudingly cute.

Goslings are so freaking adorable I can headily stand it. And they are SMART right off the bat!

3. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    Thanks, I'll look and see what she has (I'll probably have to wait a couple weeks, until the rest of the eggs hatch). I'm thinking to go pick up some eggs from Papa Brooder, he has Lavender and Chocolate Orpingtons, and I think I NEED some!!

4. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    IMO wait for Metzger. They made barely a hatchery and take good care of their birds and breed healthy. Celtic oak farms also sells geese.
    What happwned to all my quotes??

5. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I just looked up gosling prices at holderreads, boy what a price difference!

6. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Hahahaha. I remember that feeling just about 8 months ago. My husband was even worse. They will be fine and they will Love their new home with all that room!
    So Great! What are you getting??
    Funny...^^^^
    I may have dorking polish crosses that will be white...we will see what hatches

7. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Oh well they are gone. But!!! My seramas lays this afternoon. The egg is big... For a quail egg!

8. Meg2000000

Meg2000000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Concord, CA
    Aww goslings are sooo cute! I wish I could bring two home but Johnny would kill me!!

Two of my Basque girls came home from the ranch today. They've been broody for two weeks without any eggs under them and haven't been eating or drinking much. Hopefully the move will change that!
    [​IMG]
    Ugh I wish I was an amazing photographer like Amy Beth! :)

On a non-chicken note: I woke up this morning with a chipped front tooth! It's a small chip but right in the middle of my front tooth. How does that even happen?!?

9. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    A trio of American Blues and a pair of Brown Chinese. I was backordered on the pair of Brown Africans, they'll come with the ducking order.

I kind of want to leave them hands off for the night, I'll take better pictures tomorrow. They've been happily munching on minced spinach and dabbling in their water. I'm heading in to give them some feed in a few minutes. (Don't know why the photo is rotated from what I see.........)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    A little fuzzy of a photo, but such cuties
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by