California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    WOW, such an impressive photo!! congratulations on so many babies!!

2. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I sell eggs for eating. I do not wash my chicken eggs. I do wash my duck eggs- they get funky. Ducks have no egg laying manners at all. The males climb into the nest boxes and crap all over, the duck hens go inside and lay their eggs on said poop...lol. As I said- no manners. I try to keep the bedding fresh but those darn males. I build them up for about 2 days then wash and shove in fridge. I only use lightly warm water, wet paper towel and rub the dirty spots, towel dry and pop into fresh clean carton. If I am going to hatch or someone else wants to hatch my duck eggs- I do not wash them.

3. zooweemama

Dang Trisha that is one amazing photo!! Holy moly!

4. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    I'm late to the party on reassurance, but those girls look featherd in to me. They will be styling and excited to live in the chicken mansions with exotic perches!

I just got off the phone with James Marie farms. What a knowledgeable guy. He changed my order around completely once I talked to him about what we do and what we want to do. I just followed along, ha!

It is so nice to see people whom still have a passion for what they do even after doing it for 20 years( and people who ship well after doing it for 20 years, bet my eggs will not be stuffed in sawdust but foam shippers!) . He had to warn me his eggs are too big for the little giant rails, lol. I think I got street cred when I told him I had a humidair.

He is sending me something he called snow Manchurians... They are silver breasted gold quail. He says they are still project because the color is only passed on 50%. He is also making the CCL of quails! Won't be around till next year, but I need to get on his waiting list I need autosexing quail!!! ( he produced sexlink quail, that's a start!) I even understood the genetics of what he was doing. And I didn't know flu shots were grown in chicken eggs!

It was so funny, I sounded like a little fan girl when he started talking about what he was doing. I have officially become an egg geek!

NEED MORE PENS!

5. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    [​IMG] I can totally picture the duck nesting boxes-LOL

6. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    My neighbor lady really wants to buy white Polish chicks or chickens. Do any of you NorCal peeps breed and sell white ones?

7. chiqita

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    I'm still SHOCKED they lay in boxes. mine Khakis just let it out where they may be standing. But she layed every 27 hrs, so most days i could do out and eyeball where she was and go get my eggs. She layed in the fountain too.. one time we cleaned it and there were like 9 eggs in there.... it was like they had been in the fridge!

8. chiqita

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    I have one splash chick. Thats all I can offer

9. zooweemama

We have a pond and they were laying on it. We were feeding ducks we couldn't get eggs from. I locked them in their coop for 2-3 days with food and water. After that they started laying in their boxes. We let them out at 10am. Of my 11 layers - we will get between 8-11 eggs a day in the lay boxes. I've been known to so spot checks too. Feel they pelvis and if I feel an egg- that hen stays in the coop until she lays her egg. I don't have that happen often though.

10. ChickNmamma

ChickNmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by