California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. ChickNmamma

ChickNmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

When I did my hatch I actually poured water into my egg cartons to bring up the humidity right around the eggs. Its a big cabinet and I didn't have the automatic refill system setup and the eggs took 5 days to hatch. Every day I took out two hatched chicks I poured water into one empty carton hole and it sucked it all up and the humidity went back up to 60% All eggs hatched. [​IMG]

2. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    If its just eggs it should be fine. the purpose of humidity ( I think) is t make sure the chick grows at the right rate and will hatch. So humidity day to day or minute to minute is not as important as overall humidity. All short term humidity problems can be eliminied by proper humidity the rest of the time, or bringing it up or down to get proper weight. So don't sweat as much o the waste stuff! My holy? Moment of the day.... miss Scarlett has feathers starting on her wings! How is this possible!!!!

3. Nikon

Nikon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Nevada County, CA
    My Coop
    we have 9 chickens.

4. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    For those of you that sell eggs for eating, I'm curious if you wash and refrigerate them first. Also, do you ask new customers what their preference is?
    I had been carefully washing them for my customer(s) and then once forgot to and popped them right in the carton..........I later explained that they hadn't been washed and my customer said she'd prefer it that way. (And so do I because they are safer with the bloom still on & it is much quicker-hehe) She kind of figured out they were extra fresh when a little feather floated out of the carton.[​IMG]

5. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Nor Cal Chicken Peeps are the BEST!!!!!

6. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    I wonder what other ppl do too. I wash mine before I sell them. Mine that I keep I just leave out in a basket and use them as I need them. I don't think many of the ppl I sell to realize even what a bloom is ;) but curious what others do

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I do not wash eggs I sell, but I don't sell eggs which are very dirty. I can usually flick off any dirt with a fingernail, or use a dry paper towel. I do not refrigerate, either. I do not ask my customers - I don't have very many - their preference. I do explain why they aren't washed.

One customer looked at me kinda funny and replied "Well, I don't eat the SHELLS."
    :lol:

8. Nikon

Nikon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Nevada County, CA
    My Coop

Precious! Good pic too!

9. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    You're right! Most people don't know the advantages of truly "natural" and are brainwashed into thinking everything needs to be steralized, pasturized or homogenized to be safe. [​IMG] It's nice to deal with people that appreciate your eggs.
    That's exactly what I do too (keep them in a basket until I use them) unless it is pretty dirty, then it gets cleaned up and refrigerated.
    I also tell people that if they want to hard boil them, they should refrigerate the eggs for a few days so the shell well come off w/o the white part sticking.
    [​IMG]Maybe there isn't a right or wrong way to sell eggs and it's a customer by customer thing.

10. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    [​IMG]At least they have a sense of humor and they're right, you just eat the inside. I think that's what I'll try to do.........just explain the reasons for not washing them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by