HRIR
Blue Barnie OE
Crele Penedesenca
Blue Egg Layer of the UofArkansas
Blue\black Australorp

I am sorry about Ray!
hugs.gif

It this the Rooster Game?
I am actually thinking of something that when covering an EE will give me and OE sooo you have some strength in your line up
YES!!!!
celebrate.gif
I'm so excited/worried. They are due for delivery here tomorrow. I'm wondering if it would be better to pick them up wherever the distribution center is? I do have a tracking #. They left Kansas City this morning. So far away and I keep thinking about those MM chicks. Then I tell myself that these are stronger.

I will have plenty!
What is coming????

Also thinking of a Dorking or a Delaware depending where I want to focus

But I am waiting to see what happens with the hatch. If by some miracle my last remaining baby Ray egg hatches and is a roo, I am going with him.

hit.gif
I think I just cooked my chicks. What is the highest possible temps they can withstand?

Uncertainty is my enemy. I get sad, then I get angry, then I get insecure! lol psycho case!

I wanted BABIES. Watching everyone with babies has been torture. Now the hatchery babies aren't good enough. They have to be mine! Buying hatchery babies now feels like I cheated to get to the end of the game.
barnie.gif
I feel your pain I really do sorry I can't be of more help
hugs.gif

Last edited:
OK proof sometimes they just want to live. I just had one of the silkie eggs abandoned by my last broodies set ( they of the 30 eggs)
Hatch.upsidedown. in the smoker bator. At like 35% humidity.

I think she shall be named miss Scarlett....

Ha, I thought some of my previously flagged multi-quote posts were dropped!

Seriously! The woods are NO JOKE!!!

Oh!!! Thank you so much for the kind offer! I would SOOOO love to if we could have roosters. We live on the FIL's property and he does NOT like noise. I need to test him out on my roo chicks on him first before I commit to adding any others.
fl.gif

Bleh!
sickbyc.gif
Its understandable that they would make a car home, I just wish there was an easy way to prevent it! Maybe if I sprinkled dirty cat litter around they wouldn't want to be in cat territory... but I suppose that would bring up a whole new set of issues....
roll.png

Thanks! I would sew more if I wasn't so chicken crazy!!!
droolin.gif
There was talk here about chicken saddles, maybe I should look into making some...

In the "In the shell" chicken news...there isn't any, no rocking rolling or peeping. I haven't given up it's only day 20 but I feel right now that anything that does hatch will be a happy surprise.

In, the "In the mail" chicken news My hatchery girls are coming. I was on Deanne's page yesterday and I saw what was there about sexing birds at the hatchery. It's awful....I won't order sexed pullets again unless they are auto sexing...but I am happy to be welcoming these new little girls home this one last time.

In out of the shell chicken news I think Ray is dying
hit.gif
His comb flopped over the weekend, his crow was hoarse a few days ago and he has slept in the nest box the last 4 nights like he is too sore to get up on the roost. I had to lift him out of the coop this morning because he was just sitting there. Normally he likes to start his day by chasing the girls around and trying to get a little action but he just sort of stood there. I think his age and the ferocity of his frequent peacock fights are getting to him.

He was rehomed to my uncle 10+ years ago then rehomed to me this fall and he is such a good boy. He is a gentle caretaking guardian and I am sad.

Trisha happy for you with your new babies! That's wonderful. The full moon always keeps me up too.

You would have to get over 102 to kill them. They might just hatch a little early.
big_smile.png

It is lockdown soon so candle them to see if they are alive. If you see any moving then set all that do not smell an look like they have something in them.

Even with heat it is harder to kill them now, at the end of the hatch, and you were not too far out of the safe zone. Use the spot check and get the temperature down to 98 for the hatch and go for 65% humidity or so.

I have heard of temps going as high as 118 and having chicks hatch. Another said that 120 killed them. There is hope!
fl.gif

I believe both Ron and chickee are right, at this stage it would have to get really really hot to hurt them. They are making their own heat too now, so that might have spiked up the temperatures. Check the eggs and put them in lockdown.
fl.gif
for chick pictures soon!
I was under the mistaken impression that they didn't really start generating their own heat until today..... funny, like day 18 is a magic number or something. I should have taken into account is is a "guideline", not a set date. Like turning on a switch. Heat/no heat.
big_smile.png

chiquita! I love your story about the chick who just wanted to live. It encouraged me too. I hope Miss Scarlet continues to thrive!

It looks like I will be having a really good hatch....every single egg has pipped. It was getting crowded, so I quickly took out the chicks that had fluffed up and grabbed a bunch of eggs shells out too. Already there are some more zipping, by the time I got back from settling these chicks to the brooder. Lots of girls in this bunch so far:)

Trisha

It looks like I will be having a really good hatch....every single egg has pipped. It was getting crowded, so I quickly took out the chicks that had fluffed up and grabbed a bunch of eggs shells out too. Already there are some more zipping, by the time I got back from settling these chicks to the brooder. Lots of girls in this bunch so far:)

Trisha
woot.gif
love.gif
jumpy.gif

How exciting!

It looks like I will be having a really good hatch....every single egg has pipped. It was getting crowded, so I quickly took out the chicks that had fluffed up and grabbed a bunch of eggs shells out too. Already there are some more zipping, by the time I got back from settling these chicks to the brooder. Lots of girls in this bunch so far:) Trisha
So pretty! I'm glad miss Scarlett was inspiring! Mario said I should have gotten a picture of her with her legs both fluffed up and sticking out f the egg. But I panicked! Catalina just started her hatch yesterday ( 3/3 eggs but she walks a fair bit so her legs are often late. So I gave her both chicks before I went to bed. It was so funny I went downstairs to the coop with both chicks peeping up a storm. Every broodies answered. I heard cooing in m porch, coming in the grow out coop, cooing in silkieland, and in the main coop when I got there. It was a serenade! I'm wondering if I should record it to play for the motherless chicks..... Catalina is a great Cooer, perhaps I will try that this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom