California - Northern

We have a pond and they were laying on it. We were feeding ducks we couldn't get eggs from. I locked them in their coop for 2-3 days with food and water. After that they started laying in their boxes. We let them out at 10am. Of my 11 layers - we will get between 8-11 eggs a day in the lay boxes. I've been known to so spot checks too. Feel they pelvis and if I feel an egg- that hen stays in the coop until she lays her egg. I don't have that happen often though.

I don't know if that is what most people do but i figure it was worth a shot. :D I'm working on adding some boxes by the pond too. We have 26 ducks so I know some will always get their egg out by 10 am.

It looks like I will be having a really good hatch....every single egg has pipped. It was getting crowded, so I quickly took out the chicks that had fluffed up and grabbed a bunch of eggs shells out too. Already there are some more zipping, by the time I got back from settling these chicks to the brooder. Lots of girls in this bunch so far:) Trisha
WOW, such an impressive photo!! congratulations on so many babies!!
Thanks :D Now all but one have hatched. The last egg has a good pip, so I'm hopefully it will hatch too:) Trisha

So I candled my shipped eggs last night (day 7 was this morning), and it looks like only 3 of the 15 are developing.
barnie.gif

I was sad, so I went to Safeway a bought these.

They are huge brown eggs, and when I candled them the air cells look great! I decided to put 6 in the 'bator.

and the other 6 under my broody Silkie.

I guess I'll have to wait a week to see if they do anything. The best by date on the eggs was May 13th, so I'm thinking they are fairly fresh. Any idea's what breed of chicken they would come from?

Last edited:
So I candled my shipped eggs last night (day 7 was this morning), and it looks like only 3 of the 15 are developing.
barnie.gif

They are huge brown eggs, and when I candled them the air cells look great! I decided to put 6 in the 'bator.

I guess I'll have to wait a week to see if they do anything. The best by date on the eggs was May 13th, so I'm thinking they are fairly fresh. Any idea's what breed of chicken they would come from?
Good luck with the hatch!

Molly is not too far from you--Time for a road trip! Molly has lots of hatching eggs too.....

barnie.gif

I would wait until day 10 to candle shipped eggs. The first 10 days are the touchiest about being jarred, and with what the eggs went through I want to give them as much of a chance as I can. If they are still in there leave them another 3 days before you make a judgement call?

No idea what they are using for brown eggs, but it looks like whatever hatches will lay large eggs...

P.S... I love broody Silkies
love.gif
I have two now...

Last edited:
barnie.gif

I'm sorry to hear that, but on the plus side those are the very eggs we just hatched!! They are super sweet chicks and they were so quick once they started pipping. Strong babies, we love them. Do you want to see pictures or would you rather be surprised?

No, but I want to now too. I remember Deanna had a place but I didn't write it Down. Also anyone know if resteraunt supply is a good place to get aluminum foil in bulk?

This is the link that Deanna provided for bubble wrap (I bookmarked it)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321053976829?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Was there a discussion on here about picking up chicks at a distribution center? Refresh my memory, please.

I just got home from the West Sac postal hub (with my new goslings
love.gif
). I always go after chicks instead of making them wait an extra night in the warehouse. Last week I ended up driving to the airport after some chicks (I waved at you as I drove by Ron).

Just ask your local post office to locate your shipment and they will hold them for you. They don't want to see them die either.

I'm sorry to hear that, but on the plus side those are the very eggs we just hatched!! They are super sweet chicks and they were so quick once they started pipping. Strong babies, we love them. Do you want to see pictures or would you rather be surprised?

Oh, pictures please!!;). I haven't taken anything out of the incubator yet, I just keep putting more eggs in. :D

Back
Top Bottom