California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Ali707

Ali707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX
    No no noise at all. All last night I slept with my door open and there is a tree right outside my room. Birds make noise ALL night long. So in my half dream state I kept thinking I heard peeps, but that was just the birds outside my room... lol. Dreamt about hatching eggs all night darn it! My six year old woke up this morning and said, "Mommy I dreamt that the incubator was full of quail and chicks!"

So it isn't only me!

That isn't too bad at all.

2. Luvinmyhurd

Luvinmyhurd Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    California
    My Broody hen left her eggs for a few hours... Maybe 2-4. When I saw she moved from them I put them back under her. They were cold... Does anyone know how long is too long for them to go without mama? :/

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    The eggs should be fine even for four hours. The new Brinsea incubators include a cooling cycle and the recommended time for chicken eggs is 2 hours per day from day 7 to day 18.

Watch that Broody!

4. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    broodies who take constitionals often hatch chicks a little later. Catalina took a walk every day, and her 3/3 chicks are just hatching now. As long as they have not abandoned the eggs its usually OK. just watch for " nest confusion" where they go sit on other eggs

5. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    in other, chick related news, I was heating up a rice sock for someone taking babie chickens home this morning... and it caught on fire in the incubator.

what are they putting on hanes socks???

6. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been cooling my goose eggs (supposed to) and since the chicken eggs are in the same bator- they also have to cool. They are due to hatch tomorrow. No pips but all are still alive. So I assume that I am delaying the hatch but not killing it- so I feel better reading this. LOL

7. amyfamily

amyfamily Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012

8. zooweemama

Whoa that's actually scary!

9. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Okay, I don't want to hear that. I have three varieties of Orps joining my flock this year.

10. zooweemama

A good place to get some hen saddles? I would love to support a BYCer if possible before going online and randomly picking. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by