California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Duckies and geese get camera time too. <3 Hope you are all well! My 4 kids are trying to get better from flu and croup. Been an awesome month over here!

2. 8machines

8machines Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Pioneer, California
    Oh how wonderful that you have eggs soon! I do not know where you are located. I would need a hen for sure as I live in Sierra Springs, an association. I am not sure how many chickens I am allowed but I live on a private road so no one comes up here. I am certainly willing to wait for one or two.

3. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Finally cleaned out the incubator. The one row that had no chicks hatch had eggs that never developed at all. I mentioned that I felt that those eggs were cooler feeling when I candled.[​IMG]Could there be an issue w/incubator?

From the shipped eggs that didn't hatch (5 hatched) there was a fully developed, yolk absorbed, correctly positioned chick, the rest were in the row of no development along with one other that never developed in a row of hatched chicks. I felt it looked like this chick had pipped internally.

From the 10 eggs I set that I picked up from debs_flock, 6 hatched, 2 were fully developed, yolk absorbed, correctly positioned, no pip and 1 fully developed, yolk absorbed, correctly positioned and I did find a pip that was level with the carton. The last egg was started but a very early quit.

I turned the incubator off yesterday but am wondering if they would have been late hatchers. Next time I won't turn it off until I have the time to eggtopsy. Then I would have slowly opened the pipped one to see if it was alive. [​IMG]

Anyway, I'll clean the incubator up and set again and use the recommendations I got here and see if I get better luck. I'll be setting Polish and EE's so I should have better success just by breed! And then play with my dozen chicks!

Thanks for everyone's help!

[​IMG]
    My Springer Spaniel Puppy wants to know if they want to play! Or if she can eat them!
    [​IMG]

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    It probably was not the incubator if they did not develop. The temperature would not be that different from row to row in the Brinsea. Some move the eggs around in the incubator to different positions when they incubate but that is to even out incubation.

With Marans you should wit a full day after the last one hatches and then pip the eggs that have not pipped with a push pin. Listen for peeping and when you are sure they are done, very carefully open them. I did find one alive once and it did make it after I helped it out.

[​IMG] The chicks are beautiful!

5. 8machines

8machines Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Pioneer, California
    Thank you. I am looking forward to this!!

6. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

AWWWW so cute. Chicks and dog. :D

7. Ali707

Ali707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX
    [​IMG] Holy Cow! What would I do with all that space?!?! How much electricity does that kind use?

I wish I was home long enough to obsess.....! So happy. Where did you order your hatchery eggs from? I was supposed to get some this next week too from My Pet Chicken, but I scrapped that idea as I decided there are so many people around here that have eggs or babies I will just pick them up locally. [​IMG]
    This is such a sweet picture.... I love black and white.

Awwww look at the little chickies! You gave me an idea. I am going to mark what row and position in my incubator the eggs were when I take them out of the turner tonight. Just to see if there seems to be any difference in hatching. IF they hatch..... *sigh* I am still concerned they may have been cooking too hot for longer than I thought.

Darn things just sit there taunting me..... [​IMG]

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    With an incubator like that, you would hatch a lot of chickens of course! Juststruttin might be able to tell us how much electricity one uses.

Can you hear any peeping? I hope you see some pips soon![​IMG]

9. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    we were just working it out. If my maths are correct mine is around 100 jouls a month. Since its putting us inot a differnt tier electronicall, it costs about 35 mth to run.

10. MossyoakLane

MossyoakLane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Sonoma County, CA
    All these chicks are so dang cute.
    i have even been looking at incubators on craigslist.. Thankfully there is no money for one, because I could see getting into tons of trouble with it.
    My hubby is so tolerant. Building my coop,...not complaining when 4 chickens turned into 6 (7 temporarily). I am not sure what he would say if I bring an incubator home. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by