California - Northern

Ohhh exciting!!! Chicks many chick coming!
Welcome! Hang town is awesome will be fun to visit very rare chickens.

Something is tunneling under my big outside coop! There is dirt but no holes. What does that?
gophers and rats!

There is probably a gopher hole covered by dirt somewhere.

Hi,this is 8 machines. I have 11 chicks from 3 to 5 weeks in ages, 3 what I thought were Ameraucana, 3 RIR, 2 Jersey Giants, 2 White Plymouth, and 1 Braham. I also have 10 hens. What I am disappointed about is being sold EE for Ameraucana. Maybe one will look similar and have a beard. I sure hope so.
One of the first chicks that I bought 3 years ago was an "Americana" from the feed store. At that time, I was brand new to chickens and had no idea what I was buying except that she was supposed to lay green/blue eggs. She is the sweetest little EE and lays beautiful green eggs! The next year, I bought a few real Ameraucanas from a couple of breeders. I will tell you that my EE outlays every one of them, is bigger than all except for my BW Am, and is friendlier by far! So, I didn't really get what I thought that I was getting but she has been a wonderful bird.
smile.png

Ohhh exciting!!! Chicks many chick coming!
Welcome! Hang town is awesome will be fun to visit very rare chickens.

Something is tunneling under my big outside coop! There is dirt but no holes. What does that?
Ground squirrels can do that, too. Cheryl had a big problem with them at the ranch. They had tunneled all over in the hill by her pens. When I came to feed the chickens, there were always several in the pens that jumped ship as soon as they saw me.

We also have moles in this area. You don't see them very often but one time when we were hiking in Briones we saw a dead one on a path.

Last edited:
Quote: I'll have to get a picture of my English Orp crammed in her nesting box. She barely fits in there. I like big, fluffy chickens too, but the butts of the English Orps get NASTY.

Quote: Peafowl? Oh no. My husband would shoot me for sure.

Congrats on the chicks!

Last edited:
I will loan out my magnificent hunting cat Wash in return for hatching eggs
big_smile.png
. He brought us 14 mice in two days, once. He also kills moles, gophers, ground squirrels, rabbits, lizards and snakes. He scares away stray cats and is a good snuggle buddy. On second thought, I should probably keep him here.

8machines - I think all chicks go through a stage where they act like you're trying to kill them, no matter how much they're held. I was a little discouraged, but our first batch is 10 weeks now and almost all of them are super friendly and will let us hold and pet them. Most will approach and perch on me. So keep doing what you're doing! I bet you'll get really friendly chickens.

Last edited:
big_smile.png
. He brought us 14 mice in two days, once. He also kills moles, gophers, rabbits, lizards and snakes. He scares away stray cats and is a good snuggle buddy. On second thought, I should probably keep him here.

What a great Cat!

After I disposed of the rat, I left the rat zapper on the floor instead of on the kitchen cart. It was off--and one of the cats was fishing into the opening trying to get one of the cat food pieces out! Imagine what would have happened if it was on....poor shocked kitty!

big_smile.png
. He brought us 14 mice in two days, once. He also kills moles, gophers, ground squirrels, rabbits, lizards and snakes. He scares away stray cats and is a good snuggle buddy. On second thought, I should probably keep him here.

8machines - I think all chicks go through a stage where they act like you're trying to kill them, no matter how much they're held. I was a little discouraged, but our first batch is 10 weeks now and almost all of them are super friendly and will let us hold and pet them. Most will approach and perch on me. So keep doing what you're doing! I bet you'll get really friendly chickens.
What a handsome fellow!!!

Sooo here is the update. Woke up to a second chick!!! Two more are currently pipping. The second chick out is up around and wild...I think the first is in trouble. It is laying next to the carton there is a bit of yolk in the bottom of the egg still and a glob of yolkiness next to it on the bottom of the bator plus the second chick is so much more lively that I am worried for the first one.

...it is also tiny and pale yellow and came from a Dorking egg...BethBug told me that she may have included some dorking/polish eggs in her mix...It's OK I paid for a mix of 6 and she sent me 11. Anyway she said that they hatch out yellow and turn white. Anyway I am pretty sure this is one of them I will know better when I look at its toes....so, sorry I don't remember who wanted a white polish...if you are interested in a mix I may have the girl for you.

Should I do anything for the first chick? It is breathing and moving but not up and around and it hatched fully sometime between 11:00 pm and 5:45 a.m... When I went to bed it had blown the top of its egg but was still in the bottom.

This is cool but I hope it's OK

ETA Chick 1 is now moving around ...it is one of my red layer mutts from my uncle's flock.

Last edited:
In related news I have picked up my privett shipment. All happy and healthy eating pooping and drinking. I am having trouble IDing though... The CA Greys are dinstinct...not all of the EEs have green legs and or puffy cheeks and they look very similar to the speckled sussex. What I assume to be Part Rocks are beautiful though they look less chipmonky than the images I have seen on line and there are 7 of them not 5 which tells me that at least a couple must be EEs

Some l are playing Mosh Pit under the lamp and it is hysterical b/c the CGs willn take a run and leap into the middle of the chick pile. They are the littlest and it's pretty cute

5 of the EEs belong to someone else and she is coming to get them tonight So I better get them all sorted. I will send pics

one of the eggs from ChooksChick almost has its top off. I think it is a Choclate Rock! :) the first chick is I believe out of a Buff Orp egg. It is HUGE next to the little white one who showed me her foot. There are 3 toes, she came out of a dorking egg therefore she is a dorking polish mix.

Back
Top Bottom