California - Northern

It is so hot here! And my power bill was $300 from the air conditioner so we haven't been using it much. It was nice to go to the post office to ship eggs, at least I got AC in the car haha!

Originally Posted by alibra

I'm in sacramento, & this smoke is making me so sick.

I am in Roseville and I haven't really noticed it today. Is it settling in the valley?
It is not bad in Woodland Today. I may be coming down the canyon South of Roseville.

The chickens seem to be fine... so do all the other animals and and everyone else
sad.png

How do you import chickens from the uk? Or anywhere? Do you just need the right connections or certain laws apply? Why can't just anyone do it?

The laws and rules are different for different countries. It is often easy to get them out of the exporting country but hard to get them into ours.

Australia will not let poultry out.

Chicken waterer near miss!

Went out to check for eggs this afternoon and was surprised at how quiet they were being. After checking for eggs, I watched them for a while and happened to notice that below their waterer (5 gallon bucket with three chicken nipples on the bottom) the sand was completely dry. Normally there is a wet patch from all the drops of water that don't make it in their mouths. I went in the coop and messed with all the nipples and barely got enough water out to make my fingers damp. Since I had just refilled the bucket with water this weekend I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I took the bucket lid off to check the water level, and found the bucket almost completely full. The water was clear and the nipples didn't look clogged or anything. I wiggled the nipples again and water came right out like it normally does!

Turns out that when I refilled it, I sealed the lid a little too well. The water couldn't come out because there wasn't any way for air to get in and replace the water that was leaving through the nipples. We've been using this waterer for months without any problems prior to this.

All six hens guzzled water as soon as the problem was solved. Hopefully they all make it. I will be drilling a tiny hole at the top of the bucket to make sure this doesn't happen again. :(

Sorry for all of you dealing with smoke, been there-done that. They are saying that our fires may be out in October. It's been around so long I don't notice it that often anymore.

Back
Top Bottom