California - Northern

Just curious what breeds everyone has? And do you heat your coops In the winter?
Too many.

I raise

Basque
BBS Eng Orps
Cream Legbars
Olive Eggers (cream legbars X crele Penedesenca)
Weslummer
Bresse
Sulmtaler
Crele Polish
Olandsk Dwarf (bantams)
Mille Fleur Leghorns
Double Laced Blue Barnies

For pets I also have:
Bantams: D'uccles, Bantam Barred Rocks, Calico Cochins, Cornis, Frizzle, Silkies
LF: Phoenix, Ameraucans, Crevecor

No. I don't heat me coops.

Just curious what breeds everyone has? And do you heat your coops In the winter?
First no, nothing is heated.

Breeds (see my signature line, LOL)

Campine (golden & silver)
Isbars
RIR
Lakenvelder
Marans (BC, blue & lavender)
New Hampshire
Polish (WCB, tolbunt, white in LF)(SL in bantam)
Olandsk Dwarfs
Plymouth Rocks (Barred, Silver penciled, Columbian - in LF)(Barred & black - in bantam)
Legbars (Cream & White)
Serama (smooth & frizzled)
Silkies
Showgirls
Icelandics
Cochin (BBS in LF)(Columbian in bantam)
Brahma (buff bantams)
Iowa Blues
Araucana (although I only have a couple of gorgeous lemon blue boys left, all the girls have been moved in with the marans to make OE)
Leghorn (white & exchequer)
Bresse (black)
Orpington (jubilee, crele, lavender, chocolate, black - in LF)(chocolate & black - in bantam)
Turkeys (slate, RP & black)
Geese (American, African & Chinese)
Ducks (Call, silver appleyards, welsh harlequins, Cayuga, silky, pekin, runner)
Quail (coturnix & bobwhite)

There's also a few odds and ends, tomaru longcrowers, kraienkoppe, jersey giant, etc.

I think that's everybody..........I was doing a mental stroll through the pens.
hide.gif

Oops, ETA - Ameraucana in BBS & lavender.

Last edited:
Too many.  

I raise

Basque
BBS Eng Orps
Cream Legbars
Olive Eggers (cream legbars X crele Penedesenca)
Weslummer
Bresse
Sulmtaler
Crele Polish
Olandsk Dwarf (bantams)
Mille Fleur Leghorns
Double Laced Blue Barnies

For pets I also have:
Bantams: D'uccles, Bantam Barred Rocks, Calico Cochins, Cornis, Frizzle, Silkies
LF: Phoenix, Ameraucans, Crevecor 

No.  I don't heat me coops.  
Wow that is a lot! I want CCLs :) I'm expecting some chicks today! And deb is checking if she has some older ones for me:)

First no, nothing is heated. Breeds (see my signature line, LOL) Campine (golden & silver) Isbars RIR Lakenvelder Marans (BC, blue & lavender) New Hampshire Polish (WCB, tolbunt, white in LF)(SL in bantam) Olandsk Dwarfs Plymouth Rocks (Barred, Silver penciled, Columbian - in LF)(Barred & black - in bantam) Legbars (Cream & White) Serama (smooth & frizzled) Silkies Showgirls Icelandics Cochin (BBS in LF)(Columbian in bantam) Brahma (buff bantams) Iowa Blues Araucana (although I only have a couple of gorgeous lemon blue boys left, all the girls have been moved in with the marans to make OE) Leghorn (white & exchequer) Bresse (black) Orpington (jubilee, crele, lavender, chocolate, black - in LF)(chocolate & black - in bantam) Turkeys (slate, RP & black) Geese (American, African & Chinese) Ducks (Call, silver appleyards, welsh harlequins, Cayuga, silky, pekin, runner) Quail (coturnix & bobwhite) There's also a few odds and ends, tomaru longcrowers, kraienkoppe, jersey giant, etc. I think that's everybody..........I was doing a mental stroll through the pens.
hide.gif
Oops, ETA - Ameraucana in BBS & lavender.
Omg haha! How do you take care of them all?! I have enough trouble with my 10 breeds while their permanent coops are being built

i've got nowhere near as many as Deb or Deann, and they are listed on the "my silly chicklets" link in my signature line below -- but no, no heat. I figure, if chickens can survive New England & Midwestern winters without heat, they can survive Sonoma County.

Chickens can take cold temperatures so if you live where it does not go below 0F, they will be fine. They do need to have a place to be out of the wind and rain though.

I have a breeding pen of EO Basque in Winters and will soon have UofArkansas Blues out there. The rest are in my Signature as layers.

Also did you know because of foot and mouth and mad cow it is illegal to give kitchen scraps to any animals in england?

Legally, I can't sell swine over state lines if they've been fed scraps (the term they use is garbage, but it refers to the old practice of feeding pigs scraps.)

thanks -- also a good idea -- but would need to get electricity connected to the coops, which is a larger project than i can take on right now (beginning of semester!) and i'm not sure a hot wire would really dissuade her from attacking when they are out free-ranging -- they are already safe inside the pens.

Just in case people don't know... you don't need electricity to have a hot wire fence. My electric fences are almost all powered by solar, a panel and a marine battery.

Silver Gray Dorkings, Delawares and I don't heat my coops, except for chicks.

Back
Top Bottom