California - Northern

We do a yearly trip to Fort Bragg. We rent a house on Ward Ave right on the beach. All our kids, spouses, grandkids and my parents come for a week. Because of my husband having to take off to care for me after my back surgeries and my daughter planned a trip to take us to Hawaii in November, my husband didn't have the vacation time so we aren't going. I'm having a really hard time missing it. We would have left next Sunday. I pray we can all get back on track with our annual trip next year.

You Fort Bragg, Mendo area people walk the beach for me!
cool.png
I hope things get back to normal for you, sounds like a fun family trip.. but I certainly will take a beach walk for you and even do some whale watching! We arent far from Ward Ave, at least on the same side of town . Actually no place here is far from any other place :)

Coop done. ALL the chickens in. 6 week olds and the 4 week olds together over night. I have to note there is a HUGE difference that 2 weeks makes. The 6 week olds look like monsters! We put them together yesterday evening while we were putting the finishing touches on the coop. So we could be around to see if it wasn't working out. The 6 week olds pecked a tiny bit to make sure they 4 weekers knew who da boss was. Nothing serious though. This morning all 18 still kicking. No blood nada. They stick in their age groups though. I am liking the alfalfa hay idea. I think it will give the chickens something to do since they all have to stay in the coop/run for a couple weeks.

I can't find sweet pdz here!

Oh and the poop boards are not done yet but I figured- get the chickens in the coop and we can work on those as we go. I am so happy to have all these chickens out of my house! I bet the 4 week olds are too. They have SO much room to run around. They had been stuck in their little kennel brooder all this time. They were squirting through the chain link though so we had to grab the old chicken wire from the coop and wrap it around the base and even had to use a piece of that orange construction plastic fencing stuff for a part of it. Not pretty but no more chickens squirting through. LOL
I have babies to move into my coop in a couple weeks... They will have to be kept separate for a long while though...I know what you mean about the difference a couple weeks makes. I moved mine into a larger pen ( they were in a plastic brooder tub) in my grooming room a week ago and they love the extra room. The next move to the coop will be even more dramatic for them lol! Glad to hear they are all doing well this morning.

4a260a06-0233-2c8d.jpg

Still debris outside from the demolition process. But that's easy stuff.
4a260a06-025a-284f.jpg

4a260a06-0279-924f.jpg
4a260a06-0293-7b78.jpg

4a260a06-02a2-cddc.jpg

4a260a06-02af-5217.jpg

Curious about my iPhone.
4a260a06-02cf-9bf8.jpg

One of my 6 week old buff Orps.
As i said its not pretty but the sucker should be a bolt short of fort Knox. Boards and hard ware cloth everywhere.

If it doesn't make sense - I blame autocorrect. Sent from my sweet iPhone 4s.

Wow! That's a huge improvement!
4a260a06-0233-2c8d.jpg

4a260a06-025a-284f.jpg

4a260a06-0279-924f.jpg
4a260a06-0293-7b78.jpg

4a260a06-02a2-cddc.jpg

4a260a06-02af-5217.jpg

Curious about my iPhone.
4a260a06-02cf-9bf8.jpg

As i said its not pretty but the sucker should be a bolt short of fort Knox. Boards and hard ware cloth everywhere.

As i have several introductions in my future, this is both encouraging & a helpful tip!

Tomorrow i'll be picking up my friend's australorp pullet, who's the same age as my two cuckoo marans (7 weeks tomorrow) -- trying to decide whether it might be wise (or is that just chicken math?) to get a second same-age pullet (if i can find one available nearby) to introduce at the same time, so that the dynamics will be 2+1+1, instead of just 2+1? any thoughts? will it make a difference?

(then in september i'll get to do it all over again, as i'm getting four chicks in early august...)

thanks,
laura
Could be the chicken math talking.. hahaha! I've heard that it's best to introduce two or more at a time but maybe since they're young and new to the place they'll be fine. Mine are way older and are doing great. Just keep an eye on them! I checked every 30 minutes for the first day :)

thanks -- the coop is quite big (henhouse is 8x4' inside a 8x12' run), i'll be armed with treats, and i'll put some leafy oak branches inside the run for hiding behind -- and, the two marans chicks actually haven't left the henhouse yet, they seem rather boggled by all the space! they did try out their ramp yesterday, briefly -- then headed right back inside!

The coop looks so great! I have a large rubbermaid in the coop and I left it in there so the scared new guys can hide behind it. Seems to be working. I wouldn't be nervous for your three to meet. Your coop is humongous!

Thank you a whole bunch, Megan!!!!
I looked @ numerous sites that all say different things & for some reason, that page didn't come up in my google vent gleet search; very helpful!
Wish us luck, starting treatment now!
fl.gif
I'm so glad I could help! Please let us know how your little one is doing. Good luck!!

Coop done. ALL the chickens in. 6 week olds and the 4 week olds together over night. I have to note there is a HUGE difference that 2 weeks makes. The 6 week olds look like monsters! We put them together yesterday evening while we were putting the finishing touches on the coop. So we could be around to see if it wasn't working out. The 6 week olds pecked a tiny bit to make sure they 4 weekers knew who da boss was. Nothing serious though. This morning all 18 still kicking. No blood nada. They stick in their age groups though. I am liking the alfalfa hay idea. I think it will give the chickens something to do since they all have to stay in the coop/run for a couple weeks.

I can't find sweet pdz here!

Oh and the poop boards are not done yet but I figured- get the chickens in the coop and we can work on those as we go. I am so happy to have all these chickens out of my house! I bet the 4 week olds are too. They have SO much room to run around. They had been stuck in their little kennel brooder all this time. They were squirting through the chain link though so we had to grab the old chicken wire from the coop and wrap it around the base and even had to use a piece of that orange construction plastic fencing stuff for a part of it. Not pretty but no more chickens squirting through. LOL
Sounds like the chicks are doing great! Doesn't it feel great when things go right?! haha

4a260a06-0233-2c8d.jpg

4a260a06-025a-284f.jpg

4a260a06-0279-924f.jpg
4a260a06-0293-7b78.jpg

4a260a06-02a2-cddc.jpg

4a260a06-02af-5217.jpg

Curious about my iPhone.
4a260a06-02cf-9bf8.jpg

What do you mean it's not pretty? It look amazing! Congratulations on finishing it!!!
Does anyone have the address for the party today?
Thanks!
It's 3005 Morgan Territory Road, Clayton 94517

Thanks guys! It felt incredible to get it done. I helped but my husband really did it all. Would get home from commuting from Chico (we live in Redding, he works in Chico and we have 4 kids from 3-10 so we were managing all that) every night and put in a couple hours on the coop. He's so awesome! I pick up a couple 4 month old or so BO pullets tomorrow (same place we got our other chicks) and a couple accidental Xs tomorrow. I am really loving my fluffy butter butts as they grow. I am such a sucker for these fluffy Orps! I want them in all the colors! :p

Question- if you have a LOT of run space can you have a smaller coop? Or not really?
I'm not a professional, but my chickens share a coop with three others, and a duck, and it's not huge, but its not tiny. They get let out at 10 a.m and put away at 7pm, and they seem very happy, because they have a huge running space. :)
So, from my experince it's okay :D

Back
Top Bottom