California - Northern

I have to confess that I am swamped with eggs and having the hardest time not setting them to hatch! Zoro has great fertility and is doing his job in every way! I have one pullet laying an egg with a plum bloom but it is not either of my two Langshans that I have here in town. I hope that I can figure out who is laying it. It is hard to see the bloom in this pic but IRL the color is obvious.

The 3 eggs in the center are the plum looking ones.

This is one of my Cream Legbar mixes and here are her beautiful green eggs.

Finally, these are the eggs I got yesterday from my 3 Wellsummer pullets and a whole plate of their eggs. It is amazing how big these are for pullets who haven't been laying very long.

I have another plant question for everyone. :) Are there any plants that you've noticed that the chickens leave alone? I know I've seen lavender mentioned (and I also saw that someone DOES have their chickens pecking at it), sage... anything else? What about salvias? I'm trying to get a little list put together, because I'm going to start planting soon. I'm hoping that since the plants will have almost a year's head start that they might stand a chance if I put enough in there. Any suggestions are welcome! :) And yes I DO realize that this might be a pipe dream and I may end up with a giant patch of dirt, but I'd like to try, at least. lol.

I have to confess that I am swamped with eggs and having the hardest time not setting them to hatch! Zoro has great fertility and is doing his job in every way! I have one pullet laying an egg with a plum bloom but it is not either of my two Langshans that I have here in town. I hope that I can figure out who is laying it. It is hard to see the bloom in this pic but IRL the color is obvious.

The 3 eggs in the center are the plum looking ones.

This is one of my Cream Legbar mixes and here are her beautiful green eggs.

Finally, these are the eggs I got yesterday from my 3 Wellsummer pullets and a whole plate of their eggs. It is amazing how big these are for pullets who haven't been laying very long.

I love seeing all the colors! What a fun basket you must put together.

I'm going to admit something; I have a really hard time eating fertilized eggs. Did anyone else have this problem before they started chickening? I don't know what my problem is because I know that there's nothing wrong with eating them. It's just a mental hurdle.

Two more pics and then I promise to behave! My oldest daughter is turning 29 tomorrow and we are spending the day together today to celebrate her birthday! Have to get some things done before she gets here!

At Karen's party, there is going to be a raffle give away. It was so fun to participate in at her last party. I have been collecting little chicken items ever since then in preparation for the next chicken party raffle! Here is one thing that I am bringing for the raffle. It is a chicken feet plant stand (orchid not included)!

This is something I'm concerned about. Is it hard to break them from being broody? Or does it just depend on the individual? Is there anything I can do to help prevent it, like collecting the eggs regularly?
Oh my goodness, what a cutie!!! I will have to live vicariously through you with the ducks. They are so cute I can hardly stand it!

The best way to break a broody is to give them some chicks. You can take the chicks away from them after two days an either sell the chicks or keep them for yourself.

They then need to get their hormones back to laying which will take some time.
I have another plant question for everyone. :) Are there any plants that you've noticed that the chickens leave alone? I know I've seen lavender mentioned (and I also saw that someone DOES have their chickens pecking at it), sage... anything else? What about salvias? I'm trying to get a little list put together, because I'm going to start planting soon. I'm hoping that since the plants will have almost a year's head start that they might stand a chance if I put enough in there. Any suggestions are welcome! :) And yes I DO realize that this might be a pipe dream and I may end up with a giant patch of dirt, but I'd like to try, at least. lol.

The best way to protect your plants is to use netting to keep them away from eating the plants. Just about every garden plant is food for the little eating machines....
lau.gif

I love seeing all the colors! What a fun basket you must put together.

I'm going to admit something; I have a really hard time eating fertilized eggs. Did anyone else have this problem before they started chickening? I don't know what my problem is because I know that there's nothing wrong with eating them. It's just a mental hurdle.
I totally understand that! Now that most of mine from my backyard are fertile, it's either eat them or don't eat eggs. I had the same hurdle to get over with our very first non-fertile eggs. That was easy to adjust to and so was the fertile thing.
smile.png

Last edited:
Okay i know its early but idk if my eggs are going to hatch now. when i looked last night (i candled them cuz i was anxious) and none of them had internally pipprd but the banty chick was moving but the buff orp x rir i didnt se movement in . should i br wprried about them or is it to early? (Day 20)

Okay i know its early but idk if my eggs are going to hatch now. when i looked last night (i candled them cuz i was anxious) and none of them had internally pipprd but the banty chick was moving but the buff orp x rir i didnt se movement in . should i br wprried about them or is it to early? (Day 20)
It is early. If temps were low it could take longer.

You may have pips tonight and hatching tomorrow!

fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom