California - Northern

welcome-byc.gif

It is so good to have you here!

Heat is more of a problem for us. Several of us are working on some rare medeteranian breeds, EO Marraduna Basque, Penedesenca and Pita Pintas. they are supposed to lay well in the heat. In the winter, the stop laying because of less light. It is not the cold that stops them, especially here in the valley and low foot hills.

They are still going after the color?

We are in the US, so in 20 years when they are accepted into the standard we can choose Chestnut if we want. We could work on getting white into the standard too if we want to. We do not have to follow the British Standard for color do we?

I just gave away two Legbar Roos at a chicken swap in OrangeVale. No one even looked twice at them. One was all grey with a crazy white crest. All of my Roos have crazy fallen over combs. The one I kept has chestnut on the back.

Ron
Hi, I may have to research those breeds more. I am looking for layers that lay in the heat. since we have a heat wave of 100+ my girls are not laying as well. I will be doing more reading the those breeds and look and see about getting some. thanks :)

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry about some of you losing chickens and pets. :( This heat is just awful. We usually buy eggs from my husband's uncle. They have like 20 hens? We bought all they had a couple weeks ago and called yesterday and not only did they not have a single egg but also lost a hen to the heat. Age probably has something to do with it too - I think this is their 3rd year? (hatchery layers)- they just stopped laying I guess. So I am going to have to stock up at the store- unless I can make it to the farmers market tomorrow and get some there.

Anyone live in Redding area selling eggs for eating? I'm in the market to buy. I'm so spoiled- I have such a hard time eating store bought ones. hehe I usually 4-6 dozen at a time but even 2 dozen is super helpful!

3 of my ducks and 4 of my hens are getting ready to hit 20 weeks...patiently waiting...the other ducks are about 17 weeks old. And the first batch of chickens are like 14 weeks? LOL It's so staggered!

I just found this thread a few days ago and figured I might as well introduce myself. My name is Jen and I live near Redding, CA. I have owned, bred, and shown poultry since 1994. I currently have chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys (breeds can be seen in my signature). It is great to see such an active group of people all in Northern, CA!

I just found this thread a few days ago and figured I might as well introduce myself. My name is Jen and I live near Redding, CA. I have owned, bred, and shown poultry since 1994. I currently have chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys (breeds can be seen in my signature). It is great to see such an active group of people all in Northern, CA!
Hi Jen! I live in Redding just before Bella Vista. :D Welcome to the thread!

Oh how exciting to know someone nearby that has some of the less common birds! You are welcome to invite me over sometime...teehehe!. You'll love this thread- everyone here is awesome!

Brand new chicks today. We got 15x Buff Brahma chicks and 25x Cornish meaties. They all came alive and peeping. I wasn't anticipating them coming during the hottest week of the summer but they were survivors!! Lol. And Ron brought us a 19 week old EO rooster who is probably the friendliest chicken I have lol. I guess he's our new favorite because he let's us pet him and pick him up. He has a Brand new coop, never pooped In (Lol) all to himself for awhile until he's bombarded with Barred Rock pullets soon to move in there. But for now he is getting used to the swing of things. Hopefully the flock isnt gonna be to upset about more testosterone around. Thanks Ron!

Last edited:
Brand new chicks today. We got 15x Buff Brahma chicks and 25x Cornish meaties. They all came alive and peeping. I wasn't anticipating them coming during the hottest week of the summer but they were survivors!! Lol.

And Ron brought us a 19 week old EO rooster who is probably the friendliest chicken I have lol. I guess he's our new favorite because he let's us pet him and pick him up. He has a Brand new coop, never pooped In (Lol) all to himself for awhile until he's bombarded with Barred Rock pullets soon to move in there. But for now he is getting used to the swing of things. Hopefully the flock is gonna be to upset about more testosterone around.

Thanks Ron!
Congrats on the chicks AND the roo! So cute. I can't wait to try the Basques next year!

Hi Jen! Welcome to the thread. There are several folks in the Redding area here. Glad you joined!

~Lynda
frow.gif

welcome. I am also in redding. the redding numbers seem to be growing. we will have to have a redding chicken gathering one of these day!

the baby chicklets are here! intolerable levels of cuteness!

one cream legbar (dark on right), two basques (yellow), two lavender orps PLUS one blue orp.

so happy to have them alive and peeping!
laura

Aaaaawwwwww! Off the cuteness scale! What a great selection of breeds. You're going to have an awesome flock. Take and post lots of pics.
big_smile.png
Any names yet? The lavender orps are such a beautiful color. My wish list is getting ridiculously long.

Back
Top Bottom