California - Northern

Sorry - this post will take on epic proportions that will put you in mind of a 13-yr old's diary.

Well my poor husband got a taste of the harsher side of farm life this last week. He is gone again - week 10 now. We hate this. Hoping this job is over soon! The people keep adding on more and more and more and more (you get the point) work.
he.gif

It's all my fault because week before last I was feeling pretty good about things and actually said OUT LOUD, "Nothing has died recently, I think we must have finally gotten past that." Never say those words out loud.
wink.png

So a week ago Sunday we were doing chores and found a dead Basque cockerel. DH has missed out on all the previous shocks. This time he fetched him out of the coop and got the full brunt of the shock. BTW, Davis said no explainable cause. Perhaps it was the infamous heart failure that effects some birds at 7 - 10 months.
hide.gif

Then this weekend was rough. Saturday morning he dispatched a failure to thrive (someone else hatched it) chick. He HATES that job.

Then while we were gone Saturday our LPD which has never hurt any of our chickens was found licking the broody hen. She was frazzled, missing feathers and shivering. There were feathers everywhere and no chicks. It must have been quite the fight. He ate all the chicks! Horrifying.
hit.gif
He didn't harm the broody mama at all. He was just licking and licking her. I saw the way she went after another chicken so I bet all the feathers were her trying to defend the chicks.

We gave her some new ones and she has settled right in.

Then Sunday morning the 2 four-week runts died. I had put the 4-wkrs outside and all are doing fine except the runts died. I was a little philosophical about it. Oh well, survival of the fittest and all. Unfortunately one wasn't quite dead and I when I hauled them out and let them flop on the ground it kind of screamed. My poor husband. He says, "I suppose I'll have to kill that one too". His parting comment. "I had no idea that chicken farming involved so much drama!"

So that was 9 dead chickens from Sunday to Sunday.
barnie.gif
It's not normally that bad. What's really bad is that I'm almost laughing about it because my poor husband is in such a state of shock.

I cried the first time I had to dispatch a chick. He hugged me and told me to be a tough farm girl. While he's been gone, I've gotten tough and he's missed that process. I refrained from telling him to become a tough farm boy.
lol.png
So sorry Rebecca.............You are lucky though that your husband is involved. My husband does not care to have anything to do with "chickens".....He barely will eat them & prefers them fried which I rarely do.......LOL. He is a great help with anything that need fixed or built & is my "go to" guy for many things. My grown son is my chicken guy...........LOL

Is anyone looking for a cabinet incubator??? Just saw this ad on CL.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/4443275191.html
I think I am going to reclaim my Ova 190 for next season. The 4Her family that has it has had it 2 seasons so they should have a good start by now. I see them on Craigslist & see that they have their own web site now.

I got my Dorkings confused and as a result the Del eggs Jamie Lee Curtis has been on went "un sat upon" for a bit over 3 hours between 4 ish and 7 ish

They were on Day 8 at the time of the incident. The night before I pulled a few from under her and there was all kinds of dancing and carrying on inside those eggs. I think they will be fine but am looking for some reassurance/anecdotal evidence that all will probably be well. When I touched them they still felt slightly warmer than air temp. Should I look in them tonight?

Thanks!

Congrats on the two mottled babies @Audio51

@debs_flock Yay for two AC babies being OUT!!! agree that without pics it didn't happen

Beakface continues to taunt me by doing the puffed up bucking broody thing whenever she is ranging but then showing no signs of broodiness beyond that.
I am sure your eggs will be fine .................

Its not really that light the package weight in excess of 80 lbs I think it has 3 access doors and a hinged top to the nest boxes.

Of course I don't have anything trying to tip it over either.

I was planning on raising it up to on 4x4 boards and clamping it to them to give it a little more height and move the end door level enough to open into the open area under the big coop.

Since its going to extend into the run as well Im going to have to do something above its roof. Im thinking Ill build a shaded roosting are there too that I might be able to close off to also isolate and introduce new birds.

The run will be over 6 feet tall so I can walk inside and deal with things.
I bought a similar one for my grown daughter for her 2 bantam Polish girls. It sits nicely in the corner of her little picket fence back yard. That's as close to being a "chicken farmer" as she gets.....LOL

Can someone tell me at what age would process my Roo. I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I think I need to find someone with a farm close by where I can house a grow out pen and possibly some breeding roos.
I usually process the dual purpose breeds around 12-16 weeks of age.

Don't tell the chicken what you're doing, but I usually pick them up and feel for a meaty leg. If the leg feels to be the correct size for eating, you'll find the whole thing is right. (It just seems wrong to check a live animal for eating, but that's why I'm a marshmallow...............but I still do it, LOL)

I usually process the dual purpose breeds around 12-16 weeks of age.

Don't tell the chicken what you're doing, but I usually pick them up and feel for a meaty leg. If the leg feels to be the correct size for eating, you'll find the whole thing is right. (It just seems wrong to check a live animal for eating, but that's why I'm a marshmallow...............but I still do it, LOL)
Still not sure he is a Roo but he definitely has more wattles and red in the comb than the others. His ears are also very red too.

Does anyone Have information on the chicken-fest happening the 18th of May in Turlock? What time it starts, ends, how many total people will be there etc. I would like to get some connections to more chicken breeders in the area.

Yes, the first time you posted the picture I thought it was a roo. In fact, you only had one that I thought was a definite pullet.
I think its possible I have 2 and 2 (the blind one may also be a roo) but at about 9 weeks now he is definitely different than the other 3.
I really can't tell on the blind one I have pics a ways back of all 4 about 4 or 5 days ago now. Seems too early to tell with Orps yet. Though reading the sex link stuff would be kind of cool to have an Orp Roo and Del hens.

Quote: Oooooh, so tempting! Heritage RIR, NH, Cochin, Orps!!! Oooooooh! Twist my arm!! Thanks for offering to CL set eggs, but I think if I have to wait, I might as well get some fertile eggs nearby and let the broody do the incubating. I was particularly interested in CL because of the autosexing, and any cockerels I get from a hatch would have to go elsewhere.

Here's my dilemma. This is a first time broody (hatchery BA), been sitting steadily for almost 2 weeks now, very dedicated, calm, and sweet. I'm worried about her sitting for another 3 weeks. Do you broodies usually accept day old chicks? I had been tempted to give her Serama eggs, but now one of my Serama hens went broody, so the eggs will go to her. I would gladly make the trip up the hill to collect a few of your lovely chicks, but want your opinion. Do you think she's far enough along in her cycle to accept chicks? Do you have any that would be a day old in the next few days? Do you want a visitor that will drool over all your birds? Let me know! Thanks!

Lynda

Does anyone Have information on the chicken-fest happening the 18th of May in Turlock?  What time it starts, ends, how many total people will be there etc.  I would like to get some connections to more chicken breeders in the area. 

Here is the link:Karen's Party

It would be great to meet you. Karen has lots of fun things planned and the more poultry people, the better :)

Yes its the one from Costco. It say its houses 4 chickens but I think it probably would only be good for 4 bantams and if you could let them out to free range.
I noticed it is small. Looked perfect for that pen which needs to serve special functions like growing out babies or quarantine a big one.

Back
Top Bottom