California - Northern

I have other things to do besides mess with sick chicks. Really. MANY other things to do. I obviously put out the last batch too soon. AGAIN. It was so nice and warm - then BOOM! Cold snap! Now they sound like they are snoring. Rattling away with their breathing. AARGH!
he.gif
They are only 4 weeks old.

I put them in the broody house then decided better. The broody house is a 10 x 12 play house and I use rubbermaids or old ice chests to compartmentalize the hatches. I decided I didn't want those rattle buckets anywhere near the babies. I didn't even know they were sick when I first moved them. I just felt sorry for them because the bigger chicks wouldn't let these 5 smaller ones roost and they looked cold in the corner. So I moved them, heard the rattle and now I have 5 chicks in the house with me.

Trying to decide on a treatment. I read somewhere that chicks can't feel hot pepper so I'm thinking about a chick/cayenne mash. I can drug them in the morning when I'm not too tired to think about dosages and can read the scales. Off to go wipie down the door in the broody house.

SERIOUSLY!!! Whose great idea was this??

You can kinda see the blood ring (atleast i think ghatd what it is)

what causes the blood rings?
I could be wrong but that doesn't look like a blood ring. That looks like an embryo. Put that back in the bator! I can't see a blood ring. Maybe someone with sharper eyes can and will tell you different.

I wouldn't pull that egg yet. There are many others here who have more knowledge than me but that might be the embryo developing. I'm not even sure I see the ring you are talking about on my tablet. If there is a blood ring from a quitter it won't create problems for a few days unless it is smelly, I would give it more time and see if there is any further development.

I have other things to do besides mess with sick chicks.  Really.  MANY other things to do.  I obviously put out the last batch too soon.  AGAIN.  It was so nice and warm - then BOOM!  Cold snap!  Now they sound like they are snoring.  Rattling away with their breathing.   AARGH!  :he   They are only 4 weeks old.

I put them in the broody house then decided better.  The broody house is a 10 x 12 play house and I use rubbermaids or old ice chests to compartmentalize the hatches.  I decided I didn't want those rattle buckets anywhere near the babies.  I didn't even know they were sick when I first moved them.  I just felt sorry for them because the bigger chicks wouldn't let these 5 smaller ones roost and they looked cold in the corner.  So I moved them, heard the rattle and now I have 5 chicks in the house with me.

Trying to decide on a treatment.  I read somewhere that chicks can't feel hot pepper so I'm thinking about a chick/cayenne mash.  I can drug them in the morning when I'm not too tired to think about dosages and can read the scales.  Off to go wipie down the door in the broody house.  

SERIOUSLY!!!  Whose great idea was this??  
I'm sorry you have more drama down there. I've been lucky with illnesses in the birds so far, I lose my favorites every once in a while to unknown causes but nothing that spreads and makes my chicken chores extreme. That goes to working, drivers ed classes, MIL doctor apts, DH out of town, and sick/injured dogs, etc. Most animal jobs are "Mom" jobs up here. I was told 5 times one morning there was a dead songbird beside our driveway, really Eric, just pick it up and get rid of it!

All of these chick pics are making it hard to remember that I don't have anywhere to brood anything, unless someone ends up broody. I even had to turn down free chicks a couple weeks ago
hit.gif
Though it helped that I was preparing the quarantine pen at the time.

A couple nights ago, I dreamt that I'd locked up the coop and then found Omelette outside. For some reason (that made perfect sense in the dream), I decided to put her in the coop through the nest boxes, instead of opening either of the pop doors or the people door (though, since the coop in my dream was a little different than the real one, there may not have been 2 pop doors...). When I opened the roof to the nest boxes (the real nest boxes open on the back) yellow chicks started pouring out
lol.png
Not quite like tribbles out of the triticale, but close.

Back
Top Bottom