California - Northern

Quote:
Well thank you for the information ..

I have had only one EE who produced a pail blue egg and she is long gone but I would really like to acquire another blue egg producing hen any suggestions on who might be able to help me out in that department ..
Hello Gander007,

Wheaten and Blue Wheaton Ameracuanas lay the prettiest blue eggs. "chickee" has beautiful Ameracuanas, and she is a lovely lady to deal with. I have 4 Ameraucanas from chickee, and am beyond happy about the quality of her birds.

Lual

The chicks in this new hatch, German NH, Heritage RIR, Tolbunt Polish, WCB Polish, Jubilee Orpingtons, BBS LF Cochin and there may be some Chocolate Orps.
Hello Deb,

I am interested in couple of Jubilee Orps which are different blood lines than mine. Would you please tell me which bloodlines yours are from?

Thank you,
Lual

You can kinda see the blood ring (atleast i think ghatd what it is)

what causes the blood rings?

Hi Nikki!

A blood rind is a circle that goes around the inside of the egg.

Look at these images. At the end is a blood ring.

Yours does not look like a blood ring.

These are more like what I have seen:

Porous-bad-day135-15-20089-30-44AM.jpg

BloodRingandBloodSpot.jpg

Source of both pictures:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/53856/is-this-a-blood-ring-ahh-a-bacterial-ring/20

-Kathy

Last edited:
Quote:
The chicks in this new hatch, German NH, Heritage RIR, Tolbunt Polish, WCB Polish, Jubilee Orpingtons, BBS LF Cochin and there may be some Chocolate Orps.
Hello Deb,

I am interested in couple of Jubilee Orps which are different blood lines than mine. Would you please tell me which bloodlines yours are from?

Thank you,
Lual
I got my Jubilees from Molly in Newcastle. I'm not sure where she got here's from.

was wondering what the best leg band solutions were. Any inputs? I've seen zip ties, but didn't know how hard it was to clip those off. The spiral ones: what is a good size for growing chicks? I thought I also heard of Vet Wrap as well, wondering how well that works.
Thanks in advance :)

I'm sorry you have more drama down there. I've been lucky with illnesses in the birds so far, I lose my favorites every once in a while to unknown causes but nothing that spreads and makes my chicken chores extreme. That goes to working, drivers ed classes, MIL doctor apts, DH out of town, and sick/injured dogs, etc. Most animal jobs are "Mom" jobs up here. I was told 5 times one morning there was a dead songbird beside our driveway, really Eric, just pick it up and get rid of it!
lau.gif
You made me laugh. Isn't that the truth about animal chores!

The really sad part about this last fiasco is that it's totally my fault. The chicks were 3 weeks old Easter weekend. It was so warm that I decided to put them out in the grow-out pen with the 5 and 6 wk old chicks. Since there were about 30 I figured they'd be fine. Well - I should have set up another compartment in the broody house. That cold snap was just too much cold. I created my own work this time!

Really, I look at the majority of our stock and they are healthy. Last week the only adult death was not due to sickness. It was due to a weird something. Maybe the eclipse?
idunno.gif
LOL

Having the dog eat 5 chicks was certainly sad but not a health issue.

So - this extra work is my fault. My bad planning. If only it would just stay warm everything would be just fine!

was wondering what the best leg band solutions were. Any inputs? I've seen zip ties, but didn't know how hard it was to clip those off. The spiral ones: what is a good size for growing chicks? I thought I also heard of Vet Wrap as well, wondering how well that works.
Thanks in advance :)
there are small bands for baby chicks and pigeons that might work. I tried some that clip on but they did not stay on the Delawares. The Dorkings with five toes kept them on. You would have to change them several times as the chick grows.

Zip ties work well. Side cutters cut them off easily and safely.

Back
Top Bottom