California - Northern

there are small bands for baby chicks and pigeons that might work. I tried some that clip on but they did not stay on the Delawares. The Dorkings with five toes kept them on. You would have to change them several times as the chick grows.

Zip ties work well. Side cutters cut them off easily and safely.

How do you get those pigeon bands off??? I like zip ties the best for small chicks. I wish that they made the numbered bandettes in newborn chick sizes.

How do you get those pigeon bands off??? I like zip ties the best for small chicks. I wish that they made the numbered bandettes in newborn chick sizes.
They snap off by pulling them apart. I do like they zip ties best so far.

They sell numbered zip ties. I will check with cutler.

They snap off by pulling them apart. I do like they zip ties best so far.

They sell numbered zip ties. I will check with cutler.

I couldn't see a way to get them apart. Will have to get some help holding the chick and try it again.

Strombergs has the numbered zip ties. They are more expensive the the colored type.

Are the zip ties special in that you can lock them from being cinched tighter? (I've seen some like that) That would be my main concern.

I would think Del's would toy with each others. They seem so inquisitive that I'm afraid to put some on. Of course I don't have any trouble at the moment knowing who is who.

Are the zip ties special in that you can lock them from being cinched tighter? (I've seen some like that) That would be my main concern.

I would think Del's would toy with each others. They seem so inquisitive that I'm afraid to put some on. Of course I don't have any trouble at the moment knowing who is who.

If you put the end through the hole a certain way, it locks. The other way, it will keep sliding. Try it and you will see. Difficult to explain.

They might peck a time or two, but they are fine with them. All my chicks have them at first and it has not been a problem. It's very important to check tightness at least once a week, maybe even more.

I've never had a problem with a zip tie tightening on it's own or with the aid of another bird.

The biggest problem, is you have to be vigilant about replacing it as the bird grows. The zip tie has NO give and will do irreparable damage to the foot/leg. Potentially causing the bird to lose it's leg or life.

This probably isn't a problem if you have a dozen birds, it can be a problem if you are growing out hundreds.

I will sheepishly admit to it happening to me. I missed changing a band until I saw a youngster limping. When I checked there was a zip tie that never got changed out. The birds leg was trying to grow out on both sides. I was able to cut the zip tie out and the bird recovered from the limp, but she permanently has a ridge in her leg where the tie had been.

She'll never make it to the show table, but is in a breeding pen and serves as a permanent reminder to me to be careful with zip ties.

was wondering what the best leg band solutions were. Any inputs? I've seen zip ties, but didn't know how hard it was to clip those off. The spiral ones: what is a good size for growing chicks? I thought I also heard of Vet Wrap as well, wondering how well that works.
Thanks in advance :)

I use zip ties on mine and with a decent pair of cutters they're easy to cut off. Used to use spirals, but they come off and could be eaten, lol.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom