California - Northern

Hey there all!

SpringPeeper I had to respond to these 2 things
big_smile.png

First you have Australorps??? where did you get them? I don't need to be put on a list at this point because I am assuming it will be more than a year before I "need" some but I would love to know more.
Maybe it is just the picture, but Magnus does look like a Magnus to me. The hackle and cape feathers appear to be fairly sharp/pointed. No idea on the second one.

The Australorps were ones I was looking for a good local source on, but family members gave me four pullet chicks as a thank you for tending their flocks while they took a five-week road trip. One of the females turned out to be not so pullety after all. She said she got them at 'the feed store'- which for her *likely* means C bar D in Chico. I don't remember which hatchery they get their birds from. I l know she got the two ducks she later ave my kids from there. They're not laying yet, but if you're only looking for hatchery stock I could set you up with eggs or chicks later on. Either that, or we'll help each other keep an eye out for good local stock. If it is a next year type thing, maybe I'll have some nice ones laying by the time you are ready.
wink.png
I don't know what color you are interested in, but I'm only really after the blacks because I love the beetle green sheen.

Quote: No, it does make sense. Still hoping the histology and cultures will tell me more. Speaking of which, time to check my email!

Maybe it is just the picture, but Magnus does look like a Magnus to me. The hackle and cape feathers appear to be fairly sharp/pointed. No idea on the second one.

The Australorps were ones I was looking for a good local source on, but family members gave me four pullet chicks as a thank you for tending their flocks while they took a five-week road trip. One of the females turned out to be not so pullety after all. She said she got them at 'the feed store'- which for her *likely* means C bar D in Chico. I don't remember which hatchery they get their birds from. I l know she got the two ducks she later ave my kids from there. They're not laying yet, but if you're only looking for hatchery stock I could set you up with eggs or chicks later on. Either that, or we'll help each other keep an eye out for good local stock. If it is a next year type thing, maybe I'll have some nice ones laying by the time you are ready.
wink.png
I don't know what color you are interested in, but I'm only really after the blacks because I love the beetle green sheen.

No, it does make sense. Still hoping the histology and cultures will tell me more. Speaking of which, time to check my email!
Thanks for getting back to me. Ron and I have both talked about how we would like to find Australorps close by. I am not concerned about show quality as much as I am concerned about not supporting hatcheries. I adore my two hatchery AL girls though. One has been broody 3 times in the last year. The other is a very reliable layer who is the first to greet me at the back door. They are 2.5 years old and I don't NEED any more birds right now. Sand Hill has them SR and I was thinking about putting an order together one day with them. But, by the time I am ready you just may have some really great birds and it would be great if I could keep it closer to home.
big_smile.png

I would be really happy if Reese is a pullet. She/he is quite a bit smaller than Magnus but the head spot at hatch threw me. I thought that was exclusively a cockerel thing.

I'm not any good at guessing genders but I can't find any pointed hackle or saddle feathers on Reese.

Me neither but I take all votes that say I have a pair
big_smile.png

So, tomorrow is day 10 for Frieda's eggs, and I'm going to candle 'em after dark, but before my daughters go to bed. I've already (as of about a week ago) rigged up a desk lamp with a CFL and a piece of cardboard with a hole cut in it to set up in the garage. I sort of know what to look for, but I'll take pictures and, if they turn out, maybe you guys can help me determine if Frieda's been setting in vain or not?

Back
Top Bottom