California - Northern

Sometimes the cause of death is not known.

Chickens just die.....
Yeah, but I'm just hoping there will be an answer. With me losing more than half and the breeder having a lot of losses from that brooder it certainly seems like something went wrong.

Thanks for getting back to me. Ron and I have both talked about how we would like to find Australorps close by. I am not concerned about show quality as much as I am concerned about not supporting hatcheries. I adore my two hatchery AL girls though. One has been broody 3 times in the last year. The other is a very reliable layer who is the first to greet me at the back door. They are 2.5 years old and I don't NEED any more birds right now. Sand Hill has them SR and I was thinking about putting an order together one day with them. But, by the time I am ready you just may have some really great birds and it would be great if I could keep it closer to home.
big_smile.png

I would be really happy if Reese is a pullet. She/he is quite a bit smaller than Magnus but the head spot at hatch threw me. I thought that was exclusively a cockerel thing.

Me neither but I take all votes that say I have a pair
big_smile.png
I'm sending in an order to Sandhill! Well, a reservation for an order next year. I've officially giving up finding my rose comb Rhode Island Whites locally. I'm not sure what else I'd round out the order with.

We love in Sausalito ;)

Welcome! We'd love to hear about your birds. What kinds do you have?

Maybe it is just the picture, but Magnus does look like a Magnus to me. The hackle and cape feathers appear to be fairly sharp/pointed. No idea on the second one.

The Australorps were ones I was looking for a good local source on, but family members gave me four pullet chicks as a thank you for tending their flocks while they took a five-week road trip. One of the females turned out to be not so pullety after all. She said she got them at 'the feed store'- which for her *likely* means C bar D in Chico. I don't remember which hatchery they get their birds from. I l know she got the two ducks she later ave my kids from there. They're not laying yet, but if you're only looking for hatchery stock I could set you up with eggs or chicks later on. Either that, or we'll help each other keep an eye out for good local stock. If it is a next year type thing, maybe I'll have some nice ones laying by the time you are ready. ;)  I don't know what color you are interested in, but I'm only really after the blacks because I love the beetle green sheen.

No, it does make sense. Still hoping the histology and cultures will tell me more. Speaking of which, time to check my email!

If I remember correctly they get their bird from Privit and/or Ideal hatcheries. I'll ask the next time I'm there.

Yeah, but I'm just hoping there will be an answer. With me losing more than half and the breeder having a lot of losses from that brooder it certainly seems like something went wrong.
It is good that you sent them to the lab. The initial examination did not show a visual cause of death. That indicates that there was no trauma- brain injury and etc. It also rules out coccidiosis, fungus, organ damage and such that can bee seen.

What is left is bacteria and other little things that are hard to see. They are growing cultures now to see if they can get whatever killed the chicks.

My guess is a type of e coli. I have read about that happening and if so the breeder needs to start again since it would be in the flock and is transmitted via egg to the offspring. isbars have had this problem and it came from GFF if I am remembering correctly.

Last edited:
@ronott1 did you see my better pics of Reese? wouldn't it be funny if I did have a pair but they are the opposite of what you and I thought at the beginning? I really do NOT want two cockerels but I also do NOT want to get rid of Reese so fingers are crossed that the verdict is pullet!.
fl.gif

@ronott1 did you see my better pics of Reese? wouldn't it be funny if I did have a pair but they are the opposite of what you and I thought at the beginning? I really do NOT want two cockerels but I also do NOT want to get rid of Reese so fingers are crossed that the verdict is pullet!.
fl.gif
The spot for gender is different in different breeds. Some it does not matter. Others a nice tight circle is a pullet and a big one that covers the head is a Rooster.

I think you have a pair but you will know in a month for sure.

@spring peeper where are you located again? If you...or anyone else... do put together a SH order make sure to let us know. (Esp if you round out your order with Misc Frizzles
wink.png
)

I from time to time waste a few hours putting together a "Dream Flock" from Sand Hill. I know some people have had a hard time with them and it can take months past your original requested date to get your birds but what others have told me is that if you order one specific breed and then allow them to ship you an assortment to round out your order, your odds for on-time delivery are increased.

Anyway...It is nice to know there is another Australorp fancier in Northern California. I saw hatching egg auctions on ebay last night but as usual on the East Coast. Seems like between you and me and Ron we might be able to get something going at some point in the future. But for me W A Y in the future lol

I did a head count last weekend I have

10 girls currently laying
4 girls raising chicks
11 pullets not at POL
11 boys at or awaiting placement in Camp Kenmore processing on 10/12 and sometime in late Nov
4 week old chicks
Reese
2 cockerels
1 rooster
I am picking up two more pullets in a couple of weeks

To the lay person that would be 46 birds
Using Chicken Math it is only 10 but my feed bill tells a different story...Time to rein myself in for awhile
wink.png

Still gonna give broodies eggs though maybe not quite so many...who am I to stand in the way of nature??

The spot for gender is different in different breeds. Some it does not matter. Others a nice tight circle is a pullet and a big one that covers the head is a Rooster.

I think you have a pair but you will know in a month for sure.
A Month! lol I thought I was being so patient waiting 13 weeks
big_smile.png
I didn't know that about the spot. Thanks. My BSL that come from NH over CA Grey both hatch black but the girls have a red head and the boys have a creamy face and a head spot..

BSL cockerel in back left pullet in front...RSL with a Dorking mama in the back right

Has anybody ever fixed a cracked egg and hatched it successfully? How did you repair it?
They have on the hatch a longs. It seems to be a 50 50 thing though.

If shipped and they are cracked it is harder because the poor packing causes more damage than just the cracks.

Wax, fingernail polish, even glue seems to work.

It is good that you sent them to the lab. The initial examination did not show a visual cause of death. That indicates that there was no trauma- brain injury and etc. It also rules out coccidiosis, fungus, organ damage and such that can bee seen.

What is left is bacteria and other little things that are hard to see. They are growing cultures now to see if they can get whatever killed the chicks.

My guess is a type of e coli. I have read about that happening and if so the breeder needs to start again since it would be in the flock and is transmitted via egg to the offspring. isbars have had this problem and it came from GFF if I am remembering correctly.

I've lost a few to e. coli, it's a nasty bacteria, but can be treated if caught soon enough and if one has a potent antibiotic like Baytril.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
E. coli yolk sac infections are *much* harder to treat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom