California - Northern

Omelette's prolapse is reduced after 4 days of treatment, but it's still there (I think she actually didn't have vent gleet, but I'm continuing to treat for that because I figure it can't hurt... I just leapt at that diagnosis 'cause I didn't want it to be a prolapse...) Is it a lost cause, or should I keep going at least the full week?

In other news Frieda may be going broody again what with the 3-week-olds being in the getting-to-know-you pen in the coop with their heating pad cave
lol.png
If she does end up broody, maybe I can graft those chicks I'll be getting in just over 3 weeks onto her (since she'd just end up abandoning eggs if I picked those up, instead, since she's shown that she doesn't sit for more than 5 weeks if nothing hatches because I gave her eggs too late). Worth a shot anyway--if it doesn't work, the big chicks should be fully feathered by the time I'd need their heating pad for new chicks.
It is not a lost cause. If you can keep her from laying eggs for a while the prolapse should reduce.

Are you trying some preparation H?

Quote:
Every day since Tuesday (except yesterday--I just wasn't home all day!) she's been getting a warm bath to get the poo off, and antibiotic ointment and antifungal ointment smeared on. Wednesday I got some Preparation H (Walgreen's version) and have added that to the mix. There's a hard crust on the end of the prolapse that I think is dried poo--I've been thinning it out each bath, and I don't smell any rotting or infection. I've also been using some ferret shampoo that I got when we had guinea pigs (moved somewhere too small to keep them and had to rehome them--the cage was bigger than any available floor space!) to help soften the poo cap. Thursday after her bath I brought her into the living room wrapped in a towel to hold her prolapse in while I watched TV for about 20 minutes. That didn't seem to make much difference... I will say though, that the dog proved herself quite well--she came in, gave me a hurt look (she's a boxer that thinks she's a lap dog, and I tend to try to dissuade her, and here I had a flapping food dispenser on my lap!) and curled up on the couch 2 feet away, with her back to us
roll.png

Omelette's prolapse is reduced after 4 days of treatment, but it's still there (I think she actually didn't have vent gleet, but I'm continuing to treat for that because I figure it can't hurt... I just leapt at that diagnosis 'cause I didn't want it to be a prolapse...) Is it a lost cause, or should I keep going at least the full week?

In other news Frieda may be going broody again what with the 3-week-olds being in the getting-to-know-you pen in the coop with their heating pad cave
lol.png
If she does end up broody, maybe I can graft those chicks I'll be getting in just over 3 weeks onto her (since she'd just end up abandoning eggs if I picked those up, instead, since she's shown that she doesn't sit for more than 5 weeks if nothing hatches because I gave her eggs too late). Worth a shot anyway--if it doesn't work, the big chicks should be fully feathered by the time I'd need their heating pad for new chicks.
I would give her more time as long as she is continuing to improve and is eating/drinking. One of the big risks is if the others peck at it, but it sounds like you are keeping her indoors.

Quote:
Good to know! Yep, she's still eating and drinking, and thoroughly enjoying the BOSS I mixed into her flock raiser to lower the protein percentage a little
wink.png
She's actually out in the quarantine pen--I don't think my husband would be too thrilled with having a hen stay in the house (of course, if we didn't have the quarantine pen, it would likely be different).

Has anyone else with a broody just stuck your hand under and held still? I was taking eggs out from under Frieda (whose comb is rapidly paling as she pancakes, growls, and pecks) and held still for a moment after the last one was out. Frieda shifted around, and I think would've happily tried to hatch my hand
lau.gif

Good at least there is hope. She is huge!
Do ee vary a lot in size? I had these guys out all day in their grow out coop. Just brought them in and they are snuggling down in their shavings. They try to dust bathe in them. I saw this one go over and act like it wanted to mate one that was down. I have such a big size variance in this group.

Good at least there is hope. She is huge!
Do ee vary a lot in size? I had these guys out all day in their grow out coop. Just brought them in and they are snuggling down in their shavings. They try to dust bathe in them. I saw this one go over and act like it wanted to mate one that was down. I have such a big size variance in this group.

The size difference is common. EEs do lay a lot of eggs and they can be blue, brown, green or pink. They are very healthy and they can be a lot of different colors. I do not see a beard or muff on yours but that may come later.

I had a white cockerel with red on it's wings. It was very large.

Back
Top Bottom