California - Northern

any one willing to part with a gray, black, or lace hen? I am in Modesto

I'm way up here by Redding, so I'm probably way too far. But, i do offer hatching eggs in the spring and fall. ( it's too hot for eggs now) I do sometimes have young pullets available you ever come up this way. Right now I'm sorting through this year's pullets and have a few I can part with.

Trisha

I'm suffering from chicken math...sold, rehomed, processed 15. Then 12 chicks hatched and my friend gave me three special project chicks. Net reduction in chicken numbers = 0. So much for downsizing. :oops: Time for another trip to the feed store for more feed. At least the 12 chicks will be my last until fall.
Edited to add: Blue laced Red Wyandotte hen? One of my favorites! That chicken is gorgeous! What does the project involve? Good old Chicken Math! I am having issues with it too! I had wanted to get some Silkie pullets from a nearby breeder with a reputation for good healthy birds a few weeks back. The ones she posted were spoken for pretty fast but she mentioned she had a few more that would be ready in a couple of weeks. After about 4 weeks went by I figured she had forgotten or already sold them so I jumped at the chance to get some day-olds from Jeff when he posted a "Flash Chick Sale" on FB. I got 5 Silkies and 2 Tolbunt Polish chicks and my broody OE is a very happy lady! Then the other breeder messaged me and said she had some ready to go and I didn't want to be one of "Those People" that says they want something and then flakes. SO I left the house at 8 AM yesterday morning to beat the heat and drove to Gridley. She had 5 juveniles ready but thought 1 was likely a cockerel so I was only going to get the other 4 but she didn't want him to be lonely so thru him in for free. She was already giving me an amazing price on them so I was floored when she added him for free. I suspect I won't have too much trouble rehoming it if does turn out to be a boy. These are the new ones...
Some of you may remember that I was asking for photos a couple of months ago. Well, my article is finally up! http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A87846547
Congratulations! Nice article. It is very thorough and covers a lot of areas involved in raising chickens.. I especially like the part about not wanting to unconscious in the pen with your chickens and the reference to our wonderful group!
BarALE at our feed store in Placerville, Warren and Cifton.
I think we have talked about this before, but what is everyone's opinion of Bar Ale Feed? My local feed store is now carrying it (not sure of the price) but I haven't bought any yet. I would have week or so back but they were out of the Flock Raiser version of it.
The Hen is a blue double laced Barnevelder. I have standards ( " black double laced") , blue double laced and my new project chicks are silver double laced. I started a silver project a few years ago, but gave them to my neighbor. She now has given three chicks back to me so I can work on the project again. I feed bar ale. I like their chick starter for little chicks. It's a smaller crumble and the chicks seem to prefer it to brands like purina. I feed their layer pellet with cracked corn and oyster shell to my layers. Bar ale also has a meat bird mini pellet that works really well for growing out young stock. It is reasonable in cost and quality. I like that it is really fresh being made locally. Trisha

I'm way up here by Redding, so I'm probably way too far. But, i do offer hatching eggs in the spring and fall. ( it's too hot for eggs now) I do sometimes have young pullets available you ever come up this way. Right now I'm sorting through this year's pullets and have a few I can part with.

Trisha

Trisha your Barnies are gorgeous. I just recently got a blue laced Rooster from Happy Chooks and would love to add a blue hen in the future. He is quite the gentleman to his ladies and gorgeous in his own right. If only you weren't so far, perhaps I will be ready for hatching eggs come springtime!

Trisha

Trisha your Barnies are gorgeous. I just recently got a blue laced Rooster from Happy Chooks and would love to add a blue hen in the future. He is quite the gentleman to his ladies and gorgeous in his own right. If only you weren't so far, perhaps I will be ready for hatching eggs come springtime!

Thanks:) Happy chooks also has nice Barnies and Welsummers. I didn't hatch out a lot of blues this year but have at least 3 decent looking blue cockerels and maybe 1/2 dozen pullets so far. The youngest 12 chicks are all " blues", so I hope I have a few good ones in that bunch.

Trisha

Trisha

now I wish I did, maybe I need to take a weekend trip

Thanks:) Happy chooks also has nice Barnies and Welsummers. I didn't hatch out a lot of blues this year but have at least 3 decent looking blue cockerels and maybe 1/2 dozen pullets so far. The youngest 12 chicks are all " blues", so I hope I have a few good ones in that bunch.

Trisha
Thats she does!!! I also got a Wellie from her and she is beautiful. A talkative gal, but lays a very nice speckled egg. Very happy with the birds I got from her.

Thanks again @Happy Chooks !

Last edited:
Argh! Life is so complicated.
sad.png

This is just a feeler, but by any chance would any of you NorCals with plenty of bird experience be able to provide a loving semi-permanent home for a sweet, very well loved, spoiled peacock who loves petting? I am just trying to figure out if this is even a possibility.

If you would consider this please PM me only.
Thanks!

Argh! Life is so complicated.
sad.png

This is just a feeler, but by any chance would any of you NorCals with plenty of bird experience be able to provide a loving semi-permanent home for a sweet, very well loved, spoiled peacock who loves petting? I am just trying to figure out if this is even a possibility.

If you would consider this please PM me only.
Thanks!

Contact E&J winery they have a Peacock flock and are usually happy to take in birds. Hope this helps

any one willing to part with a gray, black, or lace hen? I am in Modesto

I have some Easter Eggers that started laying this spring that are laying pretty well in this heat. I also have an Easter Egger that is broody if anybody is interested. My wife doesn't understand chicken math. I have toooooooooooooooooooooo many young birds that will start laying in about 2.5 months. PM me if you would like a couple. Kern

My wife and I just got back from going to see her brother in the Atlanta area. Didn't go on line once while there. We were gone a week and it will take me a whole day to catch up on all the threads I subscribe to. It will be fun reading, but I don't like to fall that far behind. This is definitely an obsession.

My chickens are loose in my backyard right now under the fruit trees and grapes that are being watered with micro sprinklers. While we were in Atlanta my daughter collected the eggs and feed the chickens. She said she will miss doing that.

I have two misting fans set up to mist and blow air into the pens when the chickens are not free ranging in my backyard.

Kern

Back
Top Bottom