California - Northern

Manteca ca here.
Welcome to BYC Broody with chicks.jpeg

Hi there!

I live in Placer County and was curious what chicken breeds everyone has? I want to get some chickens, but I want them to be able to tolerate the heat. Also, because I live in a neighborhood I can't have anything loud or flighty. Preferable not aggressive or broody. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!! :)

Hi there!

I live in Placer County and was curious what chicken breeds everyone has? I want to get some chickens, but I want them to be able to tolerate the heat. Also, because I live in a neighborhood I can't have anything loud or flighty. Preferable not aggressive or broody. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!! :)
I love in Manteca and it gets really hot here also. Triple digits for the next 10 days. I have to Rhode Island reds, 2 silver dutch partrdge and one Brown ISA .So far so good in the heat. I keep them cool with lots of ice water, a little tub with ice, and ice bottles wrapped inn towels. I'm giving them frozen fruit with their grain. Keeping them away from scratch when outs hot out. I'm fairly new new. They are 13 weeks.

I love in Manteca and it gets really hot here also. Triple digits for the next 10 days. I have to Rhode Island reds, 2 silver dutch partrdge and one Brown ISA .So far so good in the heat. I keep them cool with lots of ice water, a little tub with ice, and ice bottles wrapped inn towels. I'm giving them frozen fruit with their grain. Keeping them away from scratch when outs hot out. I'm fairly new new. They are 13 weeks.

Thank you so much! I was looking at Rhode Island Reds and Whites, too! Also, those are really good ideas to keep them cool. I have quite a bit of shade in our back yard, but where the coop needs to go is right out in the stinking sun! I have to keep it 20 feet from any fence and it can't be close to the house...and of course all of the trees are planted along the fence line. And the drought killed my lawn so it's not like it's green and lush. Maybe I can put some sort of arbor over it for shade. I plan to keep them in the coop unless someone is home to watch them run around the yard and I fear it will get too hot for them. We're heading into triple digits, too! Monday is going to be crazy hot! 108! Thanks, again for your reply!

20170329_140256.jpg
Thank you so much! I was looking at Rhode Island Reds and Whites, too! Also, those are really good ideas to keep them cool. I have quite a bit of shade in our back yard, but where the coop needs to go is right out in the stinking sun! I have to keep it 20 feet from any fence and it can't be close to the house...and of course all of the trees are planted along the fence line. And the drought killed my lawn so it's not like it's green and lush. Maybe I can put some sort of arbor over it for shade. I plan to keep them in the coop unless someone is home to watch them run around the yard and I fear it will get too hot for them. We're heading into triple digits, too! Monday is going to be crazy hot! 108! Thanks, again for your reply!

Attachments

• 14975487777821818198365.jpg
    14975487777821818198365.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
W just put some chicken wire up we need to finish it.

What a great chicken coop! Is the chicken wire just an extension to the existing run or is it to keep the chickens from running all over the place? That's a good idea. I just got done reading all the plants/bushes that are toxic to chickens and was in shock... I don't even know half of the plants that are in my yard except for the honeysuckle... Which I've already tried pulling out, so I'm not worried about it. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom