California - Northern

A radio report this morning said China found a dog who tested positive with the Corona virus. First report that it can transfer to an animal. As I recall, it seems the majority of Asian flu strains over several decades were originally mutated to humans from animals so I wouldn't be surprised that animals can contract or carry flu viruses. Cheez! Feral cats can carry harmful bacteria that can be transfered to humans as well as our backyard chickens. We do everything we can to discourage the feral non-spayed cats in our neighborhood by shooting water rifles at them -- no use having the little ferals think they can use our property as their personal outhouse to leave their un-vaccinated germs here!!! The water rifles don't kill but they pack a hard water punch the cats remember!!! Cats love to sit and tease people or dogs by sitting just out of reach and nonchalantly groom themselves as if to say "you aren't a threat to me, ha-ha" until they get a water rifle blasted at their snottiness. No offense to cat lovers, as I've raised cat-show Persian Cats myself years ago -- but I'm addressing the irresponsible cat owners who don't spay/neuter or vaccinate their animals or just dump them when they no longer want them!

A radio report this morning said China found a dog who tested positive with the Corona virus. First report that it can transfer to an animal. As I recall, it seems the majority of Asian flu strains over several decades were originally mutated to humans from animals so I wouldn't be surprised that animals can contract or carry flu viruses. Cheez! Feral cats can carry harmful bacteria that can be transfered to humans as well as our backyard chickens. We do everything we can to discourage the feral non-spayed cats in our neighborhood by shooting water rifles at them -- no use having the little ferals think they can use our property as their personal outhouse to leave their un-vaccinated germs here!!! The water rifles don't kill but they pack a hard water punch the cats remember!!! Cats love to sit and tease people or dogs by sitting just out of reach and nonchalantly groom themselves as if to say "you aren't a threat to me, ha-ha" until they get a water rifle blasted at their snottiness. No offense to cat lovers, as I've raised cat-show Persian Cats myself years ago -- but I'm addressing the irresponsible cat owners who don't spay/neuter or vaccinate their animals or just dump them when they no longer want them!
California is home to a huge feral cat colony. They are very wild and cannot be tamed.

The swine influenza came from pigs. There is one that has been circulating in China that so for is not very contagious. I hope it stays that way!

Some concerned individuals have capture/spayneuter/vaccinate and release feral cats here in the Southland but that doesn't stop the irresponsible cat owners who get kittens that never see a veterinarian's office and grow up to be breeding disease carriers. And you're correct -- feral cats cannot be tamed no matter what you do to try and tame them. Feral cats that are spayed/neutered and vaccinated are great for rodent contol but unfortunately the majority of unprotected feral cats are carriers of fleas, rabies, feline enteritis, and dozens of other maladies. Ugh!

Some concerned individuals have capture/spayneuter/vaccinate and release feral cats here in the Southland but that doesn't stop the irresponsible cat owners who get kittens that never see a veterinarian's office and grow up to be breeding disease carriers. And you're correct -- feral cats cannot be tamed no matter what you do to try and tame them. Feral cats that are spayed/neutered and vaccinated are great for rodent contol but unfortunately the majority of unprotected feral cats are carriers of fleas, rabies, feline enteritis, and dozens of other maladies. Ugh!
There is a program that the vetmed program runs here for strays. We can tell when we see a cat that has been fixed by looking for a notch in the ear

Since our organic non-processed non-pressed natural chicken feed is geared more for egg production nutrition rather than total overall health of the hens I decided to add plant-based trace mineral liquid containing 77 trace minerals to give the girls in their soaked buckwheat kernels as a treat. A long-practicing veterinarian said the same trace nutrients that humans need are the same for animal physiology too. I've even ordered some wood ash to add to our veggie beds so our home-grown veggies absorb more minerals than the few nutrients contained in the packaged organic fertilizers. Industrial food crops, even organic ones, are raised in depleted mineral soil and not as densely nutritious as crops of a century ago. Trees absorb lots of trace minerals through their roots and when the wood is burned it leaves the trace minerals in the ashes. Farmers a century ago threw their wood stove ashes into their crop soils but today's organic fertilizers are difficult if not impossible to find wood ash contents.

Since our organic non-processed non-pressed natural chicken feed is geared more for egg production nutrition rather than total overall health of the hens I decided to add plant-based trace mineral liquid containing 77 trace minerals to give the girls in their soaked buckwheat kernels as a treat. A long-practicing veterinarian said the same trace nutrients that humans need are the same for animal physiology too. I've even ordered some wood ash to add to our veggie beds so our home-grown veggies absorb more minerals than the few nutrients contained in the packaged organic fertilizers. Industrial food crops, even organic ones, are raised in depleted mineral soil and not as densely nutritious as crops of a century ago. Trees absorb lots of trace minerals through their roots and when the wood is burned it leaves the trace minerals in the ashes. Farmers a century ago threw their wood stove ashes into their crop soils but today's organic fertilizers are difficult if not impossible to find wood ash contents.
Have you noticed a difference in the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom