California - Northern

I have been using sweet pdz but will look into the Litter Life product.

Big Ole Bird has a lot of Humeric Acid in it.
I'll let you know how LAB works. It is very low cost to make and lasts 1-3 years in the refrigerator or the same amount of time outside the refrigerator if mixed in equal parts with molasses.

I'm interested too since dogs have been a lifelong hobby

Good Luck!!!!

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

fl.gif
hugs.gif
fl.gif

barnie.gif
Someone else who likes the "Wedge-heads"!

Hope your dogs get home safe, sound, and soon Jason.

it's quite misty and chilly here this morning, and i decided it was time to take some new chicklet photos:

out foraging under the trees

Max, looking handsome as ever

playing queen-of-the-hill on the rocks

broody eleanor on her nest

all three nesting boxes are full -- everyone's busy!

it's quite misty and chilly here this morning, and i decided it was time to take some new chicklet photos:

out foraging under the trees

Max, looking handsome as ever

playing queen-of-the-hill on the rocks

broody eleanor on her nest

all three nesting boxes are full -- everyone's busy!
Nice pics! I love that tree!

I'm going to come back later and comment on everyone's posts! For now we're off to UC Davis with some fresh chicken poo. Ah, the glamorous life of a chicken shepardess.

Hi all!
I'm relatively new to the forums so thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself. I've had chickens on/off for a few years and heavily relied on advice given here but have hid in the shadows.

I live about a half hour south of San Francisco on the coast. I literally have 'backyard chickens'. We had 4 for a couple of years that went to a neighbor when we last moved. After months of getting organized, unpacked and trying to find the right spot to build a new coop...I desperately missed the fresh eggs and the hours of chicken entertainment...I took the plunge and bought a pre-fabbed coop and hatched out a couple of eggs in a homemade incubator. Of the 8 eggs that I received (from back east so fertility may have been bad after shipping) three developed. All 3 hatched into healthy happy chicks...a splash orpington, a black orpinton and an americauna. The black ended up being a boy - the local feed store took him and 'sold him to a nice family' - I think I could have culled him if I needed to...just not sure I could have eaten any of it. :) This saved me having to make that decision. We picked up 2 more started pullets at that time - a blue laced red wyndotte and a California white leghorn.

We had some integration issues initially but all 4 have worked out their issues. It is interesting seeing the different dynamics at play...but I digress....

The girls have a 3.5'x3.5' coop with 3 nesting boxes and a 3.5' x 9.25' run. They are let out each day...typically mid-morning to 'free range' through the backyard and return to the coop each night. I'm building another 6 foot extension for the run for the occasions where we need to leave them for a weekend. We spent a LOT of time working with our lab when they were chicks - putting them on her when she was in a submissive calm state. The chickens still climb on her and 'groom' her but she completely ignores them.

We don't show our chickens - although that's how we talked my husband into getting them originally - 4H...but he likes the eggs and entertainment enough that we now just enjoy them. Our chickens are totally our pets. We get so much entertainment value from them. And I can't wait for this new batch to start laying to have fresh eggs in the house again. And what a pretty basket it's going to be. Eventually I want to add a welsummer or maran to get a chocolate colored egg and a cream legbar or true araucana for a blue egg to complete my rainbow. I'm just not sure I could convince hubby to let me have a brooder inside again right now...so would either need started pullets or wait until next year.

Kids went with a "P" naming scheme this time....
Pio - Americauna
Pippy - Splash Orpington
Pumpkin - Blue Laces Red Wyndotte
Penny - California White Leghorn

Anyway, thank you all for being such a great resource through the years! And I hope to 'get to know' you all a bit better and be more actively involved on here.
Kim

Hi all!
I'm relatively new to the forums so thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself. I've had chickens on/off for a few years and heavily relied on advice given here but have hid in the shadows.

I live about a half hour south of San Francisco on the coast. I literally have 'backyard chickens'. We had 4 for a couple of years that went to a neighbor when we last moved. After months of getting organized, unpacked and trying to find the right spot to build a new coop...I desperately missed the fresh eggs and the hours of chicken entertainment...I took the plunge and bought a pre-fabbed coop and hatched out a couple of eggs in a homemade incubator. Of the 8 eggs that I received (from back east so fertility may have been bad after shipping) three developed. All 3 hatched into healthy happy chicks...a splash orpington, a black orpinton and an americauna. The black ended up being a boy - the local feed store took him and 'sold him to a nice family' - I think I could have culled him if I needed to...just not sure I could have eaten any of it.
smile.png
This saved me having to make that decision. We picked up 2 more started pullets at that time - a blue laced red wyndotte and a California white leghorn.

We had some integration issues initially but all 4 have worked out their issues. It is interesting seeing the different dynamics at play...but I digress....

The girls have a 3.5'x3.5' coop with 3 nesting boxes and a 3.5' x 9.25' run. They are let out each day...typically mid-morning to 'free range' through the backyard and return to the coop each night. I'm building another 6 foot extension for the run for the occasions where we need to leave them for a weekend. We spent a LOT of time working with our lab when they were chicks - putting them on her when she was in a submissive calm state. The chickens still climb on her and 'groom' her but she completely ignores them.

We don't show our chickens - although that's how we talked my husband into getting them originally - 4H...but he likes the eggs and entertainment enough that we now just enjoy them. Our chickens are totally our pets. We get so much entertainment value from them. And I can't wait for this new batch to start laying to have fresh eggs in the house again. And what a pretty basket it's going to be. Eventually I want to add a welsummer or maran to get a chocolate colored egg and a cream legbar or true araucana for a blue egg to complete my rainbow. I'm just not sure I could convince hubby to let me have a brooder inside again right now...so would either need started pullets or wait until next year.

Pio - Americauna
Pippy - Splash Orpington

Anyway, thank you all for being such a great resource through the years! And I hope to 'get to know' you all a bit better and be more actively involved on here.
Kim
Welcome to the thread!
frow.gif

Hi all!

I live about a half hour south of San Francisco on the coast. I literally have 'backyard chickens'. We had 4 for a couple of years that went to a neighbor when we last moved. After months of getting organized, unpacked and trying to find the right spot to build a new coop...I desperately missed the fresh eggs and the hours of chicken entertainment...I took the plunge and bought a pre-fabbed coop and hatched out a couple of eggs in a homemade incubator. Of the 8 eggs that I received (from back east so fertility may have been bad after shipping) three developed. All 3 hatched into healthy happy chicks...a splash orpington, a black orpinton and an americauna. The black ended up being a boy - the local feed store took him and 'sold him to a nice family' - I think I could have culled him if I needed to...just not sure I could have eaten any of it.
smile.png
This saved me having to make that decision. We picked up 2 more started pullets at that time - a blue laced red wyndotte and a California white leghorn.

Pio - Americauna
Pippy - Splash Orpington

Kim
Welcome, nice group you have there!

Hi all!

smile.png

Pio - Americauna
Pippy - Splash Orpington

Kim
Hi and welcome! I find the chickens very relaxing, I make sure I watch them about ten minutes every morning:)

Back
Top Bottom