California - Northern

Friday is day 7 for my hatch...I cant believe it's already day 5 for these guys. I don't know about when you should or shouldn't toss other than what I have read here which is that you should wait if possible because sometimes there is late bloomer or two. That said I would think that if an egg appears to be totally clear on day 7 you can chuck it but I will let the more experienced...which is basically everyone...answer that.

You and me both on knowing nothing about tennis...Thanks!

Hello all,

It's exciting reading about everyone's incubating and hatching experiences. I've been very jealous catching up on this thread. But now I finally have my own excitement to focus on as my 6 little chicks arrived this morning! I'm so worried about them being warm enough, this is my first time taking care of chicks. They don't seem to be going under the eco glow brooder that's in there and I don't think the heat lamp that's in there is giving off enough heat. I could only find a 150 watt infrared bulb and the temp reads low 80s in the brooder. That said, they don't appear to be too cold, sometimes they will be close together when they are sleeping but when they are up and around they didn't seem to have any issues separating and going about their business. I mainly got the heat lamp to bring up the general temp of the brooder since it's in the garage and have the eco glow as the main source of heat for the chicks. I'm not sure if I should change my set up.....I may be a little paranoid :)

Hey guys! Quick question.
I'm going to buy a heat lamp today for my chicks, who will be here around the 1st of May.
Do I need both the white & red bulbs? Or just red?

Hello all,

It's exciting reading about everyone's incubating and hatching experiences. I've been very jealous catching up on this thread. But now I finally have my own excitement to focus on as my 6 little chicks arrived this morning! I'm so worried about them being warm enough, this is my first time taking care of chicks. They don't seem to be going under the eco glow brooder that's in there and I don't think the heat lamp that's in there is giving off enough heat. I could only find a 150 watt infrared bulb and the temp reads low 80s in the brooder. That said, they don't appear to be too cold, sometimes they will be close together when they are sleeping but when they are up and around they didn't seem to have any issues separating and going about their business. I mainly got the heat lamp to bring up the general temp of the brooder since it's in the garage and have the eco glow as the main source of heat for the chicks. I'm not sure if I should change my set up.....I may be a little paranoid :)
The ecoglow works down to below 60 degrees so unless it is in the 50s in your garage you do not need the heat lamp. I tuck the chicks under the ecogolow and they go out and under it all the time. Watch them the first couple of days. You have to be careful--they will die if is much over 100 in the brooder.

Also, the ecoglow will not heat or need to heat up the brooder. It is a contact heater for the chicks.

on the new chicks!

Last edited:
Hey guys! Quick question.
I'm going to buy a heat lamp today for my chicks, who will be here around the 1st of May.
Do I need both the white & red bulbs? Or just red?
I would only get the red bulb, if you run into feather picking issues the clear bulb will only make it worse. Please make sure the base on the heat lamp is ceramic and rated for the bulb you plan to use. I also use chain to hang lamps, I close the hook to make sure if the lamp is bumped it won,t come undone and start a fire.

The ecoglow works down to below 60 degrees so unless it is in the 50s in your garage you do not need the heat lamp. I tuck the chicks under the ecogolow and they go out and under it all the time. Watch them the first couple of days. You have to be careful--they will die if is much over 100 in the brooder.

Also, the ecoglow will not heat or need to heat up the brooder. It is a contact heater for the chicks.

on the new chicks!

It's been getting down in the 50s at night in the garage, so that was my main concern. I definitely don't think it's getting around 100 in the brooder. It's a pretty large space(overkill in case our coop takes longer than planned). I think I'll try switching the heat lamp off and getting them used to using the eco glow, since I'm pretty sure just the heat lamp is not gonna cut it to keep them warm at night. Thanks for your response Ron!

How does BYC know that I am a Hatch a Holic? I got an email asking me to join that thread which is funny because that thread is a big enabler...

Did everyone get that email?

How does BYC know that I am a Hatch a Holic? I got an email asking me to join that thread which is funny because that thread is a big enabler...

Did everyone get that email?

I didn't.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom