California - Northern

So I have a brooder set up but what does everyone do for that in-between stage? Like the stage where they're too big for the brooder but too small to go outside in the fall/winter? I was thinking a cage that's not very high but long and rectangular?

I keep them in the house for the first few days, then move them to a 100 gallon Rubbermaid horse trough for a week or two more, then I have a grow out pen that's made out of pallets. It shares a run with my laying flock who free range all day. The grow out coop is about 4'x16' with a light if needed and I can choose to have it all covered or just half. I take the metal roof (it's all wire enclosed) off on one end if the chicks are too young to go out w/o supervision. Once they're old enough, I put a portable fence up so they have access to the run and everyone can see each other. After about a week of that, I take the fence down. They usually hang in the run during the day for a couple of weeks (depending on their age), returning to their grow out pen at night. During that time they start exploring the main coop and one day I come up to close up the coop and they've moved into the big coop. I don't know why they all move to the big coop but I've raised 100's of chicks through that grow out pen and I've never had to move them to the main coop!

It also gets used if I need to separate anyone and usually the temporary holding coop for randy juvenile cockerels until they find a home.

Here's a couple of pictures of my husband and grandsons helping build it.

There's a bench in there if I need laying boxes and a roost. It use to have a hinged wall in the middle with a little opening and ramp to the outdoor part of the pen but it was a pain to open to clean so I removed it. It's a handy little coop and cheap as chips as my daughter says!

Last edited:
Bookmarked, thanks so much.

Why the heck are dogs 500 and guinea pigs almost 200?!? I was so surprised the chickens are free on the necropsy that is. What is the name if the fecal test for worms. The lingo is completely unfamiliar to me. Thanks for all the help with information !
I called them up to get the exact name of the test. I had them also test for coccidiosis. The sample is gathered fresh in the morning and try to get sample from more than one chicken. They emailed the results to me in two days.

Do not use USPS to ship.

Happy Saturday!

I keep them in the house for the first few days, then move them to a 100 gallon Rubbermaid horse trough for a week or two more, then I have a grow out pen that's made out of pallets. It shares a run with my laying flock who free range all day. The grow out coop is about 4'x16' with a light if needed and I can choose to have it all covered or just half. I take the metal roof (it's all wire enclosed) off on one end if the chicks are too young to go out w/o supervision. Once they're old enough, I put a portable fence up so they have access to the run and everyone can see each other. After about a week of that, I take the fence down. They usually hang in the run during the day for a couple of weeks (depending on their age), returning to their grow out pen at night. During that time they start exploring the main coop and one day I come up to close up the coop and they've moved into the big coop. I don't know why they all move to the big coop but I've raised 100's of chicks through that grow out pen and I've never had to move them to the main coop!

It also gets used if I need to separate anyone and usually the temporary holding coop for randy juvenile cockerels until they find a home.

Here's a couple of pictures of my husband and grandsons helping build it.

There's a bench in there if I need laying boxes and a roost. It use to have a hinged wall in the middle with a little opening and ramp to the outdoor part of the pen but it was a pain to open to clean so I removed it. It's a handy little coop and cheap as chips as my daughter says!
You have very nice helpers!

Thank you for sharing your system for raising chicks.

So I have a brooder set up but what does everyone do for that in-between stage? Like the stage where they're too big for the brooder but too small to go outside in the fall/winter? I was thinking a cage that's not very high but long and rectangular?
Mine are outside in a small coop from the day they hatch. I use EcoGlows for a heat source. I keep them inside the coop for the first week (on paper towels), then I take out the paper towels (shavings underneath) and give them access during the day to the small run on the coop. When they are about 7 weeks old, I move them to a separated area of my big coop for another week before letting them out with the flock. I don't recommend this for integration for flocks that are not used to having new birds added. I've always got babies, broodies, etc, so my flock is very used to young birds being added - and I have a lot of space for them to get away.

Quote: The main symptom is extreme loss of weight. If you look at your flock and think, geez, she's looking thin - then they likely have worms.

As Ron said, I tried all the natural remedies, and my flock still got worms. I still feed them pumpkins, but not for worms, just because they like them, it's rich in beta carotene for dark yolks, and it gives them something to do.

Mossy
One day this weekend we are going to Lodi for the passport festival, hopefully seeing miss molly to pick up a jubilee roo and pick up feed. Do not know what day yet have to check with miss m. The pens are not really up yet but we would love to see you!

The MF pair is broken up right now. My hen made it through the attack and is my only non breese girl laying. The roo is at a friends house as "the rooster" but I'm sure I could convince him to take another roo instead. He is so perfect I could not bring myself to eat him.

I'm excited to hear the eggs are doing so well! Floppy I think is just too big to sit on eggs. She breaks a few and then the rest go bad. But she is a great mum so I gave her chicks, and they are so happy with her.
Hi chiqita and anybody else going to Lodi this weekend, you can come and visit me. I will be demonstrating faceting at the Stockton Gem Show on the Lodi Grape Festival grounds (413 East Lockeford Street). No chickens, but lots of interesting rocks, beads and jewelry stuff... Hours are 10-5 both days, admission is $5 for adults.

Thank you so much everyone for all of the advice and ideas for brooding/introduction/grow out pens :) I think I will put a light in my grow out coop and they can go out there once they are about 4 weeks old. Should be ok with access to a light all the time if they need to get close to it. And for the slower feathering breeds they can stay in the shed a bit longer :)

Chiqita, I have bad news on the Marans front. The guy that works at the hay place was looking for roosters and he took all of them. If you weren't so far I would have kept one for you but couldn't pass up moving them all at the same time. I still have three in my Marans pen. I have someone who is buying one of those. He doesn't have good leg feathering and is passing that on to the offspring, the other two prospects have great leg feathering and good size and color. If I decide to go down to one, I'll let you know. It won't be so urgent to move them when there's only one.

Sorry it didn't work out but it's much quieter around High 'N Dry Farm this morning!

Edited to add that it's nice to be back here.....I've been spending time at CSU for Polish and lets just say, some people need to either say something productive (good or bad, but constructive) or shut up!
smack.gif
Got comments like "I wouldn't know where to start with these birds" and "do you have the standard? It's all in there"! OK, so what's the forum for then! Maybe just post the breed and the address to purchase the standard! No need for conversation!
he.gif

Last edited:
One of the Pita Pinta boys wanted to come out and play. He flew up to the side of the Hutch in the Garage, so I took him outside. He is 14 weeks old. They have changed so much!

Chiqita, I have bad news on the Marans front. The guy that works at the hay place was looking for roosters and he took all of them. If you weren't so far I would have kept one for you but couldn't pass up moving them all at the same time. I still have three in my Marans pen. I have someone who is buying one of those. He doesn't have good leg feathering and is passing that on to the offspring, the other two prospects have great leg feathering and good size and color. If I decide to go down to one, I'll let you know. It won't be so urgent to move them when there's only one.

Sorry it didn't work out but it's much quieter around High 'N Dry Farm this morning!

Edited to add that it's nice to be back here.....I've been spending time at CSU for Polish and lets just say, some people need to either say something productive (good or bad, but constructive) or shut up!
smack.gif
Got comments like "I wouldn't know where to start with these birds" and "do you have the standard? It's all in there"! OK, so what's the forum for then! Maybe just post the breed and the address to purchase the standard! No need for conversation!
he.gif
duc.gif
I kept my mouth shut for the polish. There were some good units but the Polish did not bring in any famous Polish Breeders from Foreign Countries, like the Wellsummers did.

They need to move on to the next Breed now.

Edited to add that it's nice to be back here.....I've been spending time at CSU for Polish and lets just say, some people need to either say something productive (good or bad, but constructive) or shut up! :smack Got comments like "I wouldn't know where to start with these birds" and "do you have the standard? It's all in there"! OK, so what's the forum for then! Maybe just post the breed and the address to purchase the standard! No need for conversation!:he

Ah bummer. No marans for me till spring then. Sorry the polish thread is a downer. I saw a gorgeous polish on cl this week someone thought was a Cochin.
I have not heard back from miss molly :(. Im going to call her again today but maybe its not my rooster week.

Back
Top Bottom