California - Northern

Thats funny!
Yep--took him awhile to live that down. That, and wearing studded Levis and steel-toed boots through airport security in June of 2002
roll.png

I just went back and looked up the hatch date for the Basques. They hatched 5/5/13, so they are just over 5 months. I noticed that their pelvic bones are spreading, and are now about two fingers apart. Hoping to start see eggs soon. They are much further along than the BLRW that are a month older.

I have had goats. They can be hard to contain but I can keep them in. Its all in the fence.
I have not had sheep. Are they as hardy as goats? seems I have heard they are not so tough.

My 2 goats where like dogs. My friends sheep are not as personable. Not mean just there.

I have had goats. They can be hard to contain but I can keep them in. Its all in the fence.
I have not had sheep. Are they as hardy as goats? seems I have heard they are not so tough.

My 2 goats where like dogs. My friends sheep are not as personable. Not mean just there.

I think it is how the sheep are raised. I used to go help my grand-father when he sheared sheep and they were awful, but we bottle raised two boys and they were sweet. There is something about sheep diets with copper that is different from a goat. If you want a goat that is not hard on fences then try fainting goats. Being polled helps too.

I just went back and looked up the hatch date for the Basques. They hatched 5/5/13, so they are just over 5 months. I noticed that their pelvic bones are spreading, and are now about two fingers apart. Hoping to start see eggs soon. They are much further along than the BLRW that are a month older.

Funny you should post this today...My Silver Penciled Wy babies are soooooo far behind the little CA Grey/Del they hatched with on 10/24. They have wing feathers no bow feathers and no other feathers at all. I sent a fb message to the breeder asking her if that meant they were boys and she said no, they were just very slow maturing and by 6 weeks I should be able to tell if they are boys or girls...2 week and 5 days to go.

Are all Wy's slow maturing?

On an unrelated note, I don't know why I thought non-flighty meant not a fan of taking wing. My Dorkings and Norma my little red hen take themselves free ranging every morning. Joan Baez is close to POL I hope she figures out a good place to lay. Any suggestions for free range nest boxes?

So I have a genetics question. I believed that Norma's mom was an Australorp because she has dark legs and all other hens here at the time I collected eggs for that hatch had yellow or white but she is dinky. She Icelandic size so could she have an AL for a mom?

Last edited:
This breed is very healthy and easy. Some breeds of sheep are not. I actually am not a fan of sheep but love this breed.
I've noticed that the ewe seems to have a huge influence of her offspring's temperament. Shy ewes produce flightier lambs. I did not do anything to tame these rams, they were just innately more friendly. All 3 of the triplets, including Clint, turned out to be unusually friendly and people oriented. The other 2 (ewes) are now owned and handled by children.

On an unrelated note, I don't know why I thought non-flighty meant not a fan of taking wing. My Dorkings and Norma my little red hen take themselves free ranging every morning. Joan Baez is close to POL I hope she figures out a good place to lay. Any suggestions for free range nest boxes?
I would lock them up until later in the day and get them used to laying in their coop. My Dorkings have a tendency to want to hide their nests, then go broody. I've lost a couple, when I couldn't find their hiding spot and a predator snatched them off the nest at night.
I like double sized milk crates for portable nest boxes. Also, at Costco, they have rectangular boxes that are low in front. Perfect for a nest box that can be thrown away if it gets too dirty.

Funny you should post this today...My Silver Penciled Wy babies are soooooo far behind the little CA Grey/Del they hatched with on 10/24. They have wing feathers no bow feathers and no other feathers at all. I sent a fb message to the breeder asking her if that meant they were boys and she said no, they were just very slow maturing and by 6 weeks I should be able to tell if they are boys or girls...2 week and 5 days to go.

Are all Wy's slow maturing?

So I have a genetics question. I believed that Norma's mom was an Australorp because she has dark legs and all other hens here at the time I collected eggs for that hatch had yellow or white but she is dinky. She Icelandic size so could she have an AL for a mom?

Leghorns are fast maturing--Feather fast and lay early. Yes, wyandottes are slower.

Flighty means that they scare easily. They jump, run and often fly away from you making "I am scared noises". When they do that(Amelias and Penedesencas for example) the Fogel and Horsman RIRs and the Australorps stand there and stare at them. If I have given them their treat, they get back to it before the flighty display is over....
lau.gif

Quote:
By CapayvalleyChick

Thanks Kim,Do you mean confined to the coop? Our coop is a big rectangle on legs with roosts and nestboxes constructed so that if I confine them to it the rest of the girls have no access to the nest boxes. Should I just put some substitutes in the run. Their run is in the process of getting inclosed so that will make it easier to lock them up. The older of the two is going on 6 months (hatched 5/20) so when should I expect her first egg.?

Also are they OK with those nest boxes just sitting on the ground in the rain and stuff?

Last edited:
This breed is very healthy and easy. Some breeds of sheep are not. I actually am not a fan of sheep but love this breed.
I've noticed that the ewe seems to have a huge influence of her offspring's temperament. Shy ewes produce flightier lambs. I did not do anything to tame these rams, they were just innately more friendly. All 3 of the triplets, including Clint, turned out to be unusually friendly and people oriented. The other 2 (ewes) are now owned and handled by children.

I would lock them up until later in the day and get them used to laying in their coop. My Dorkings have a tendency to want to hide their nests, then go broody. I've lost a couple, when I couldn't find their hiding spot and a predator snatched them off the nest at night.
I like double sized milk crates for portable nest boxes. Also, at Costco, they have rectangular boxes that are low in front. Perfect for a nest box that can be thrown away if it gets too dirty.

Thanks for the tips!

Dorkings like to fly and will roost in trees and etc. They are very calm however.

Where are the boxes at costco?

Back
Top Bottom