California - Northern

WELL, they said I wouldn't get nice birds. They said they'd only be good for laying eggs. I've seen pictures of hatchery laced Wyandottes and it's true that sometimes they look cuckoo not laced. Evidently McMurray Hatchery throws out decent stock now and then
lol.png
We got 2 cockerels on accident and one went in the pot because he was so WRONG - built like an ostrich all legs with a round body. The hens are near perfect (IMO). I'd like to go to a show and see how close to type they are. Decided to keep a trio for breeding. Pretty egg layers if nothing else!

This is a blurry picture but look at the nice lacing. The comb is still small and flat. Her tail isn't upright. I need to find out what SOP is. Regardless I think we are going to hatch some eggs in Feb or March.

Out in the sunshine she just glows.

Can you tell that we are excited our birds turned out so nice?
They would be a good start to improve the golden laced variety. It is near impossible to even find good quality birds from a breeder. Your rooster is super nice and it is hard to produce good roosters! I hope you go for it!

I bought the rare variety pack from McMurray about 10+ years ago and the quality of the birds was great. I got some super nice Buttercups. You can't even find as nice of Buttercups anymore!

They would be a good start to improve the golden laced variety. It is near impossible to even find good quality birds from a breeder. Your rooster is super nice and it is hard to produce good roosters! I hope you go for it!

I bought the rare variety pack from McMurray about 10+ years ago and the quality of the birds was great. I got some super nice Buttercups. You can't even find as nice of Buttercups anymore!
We've been impressed! I'm looking forward to the show in Stockton because I do want to see what we are aiming for. These birds were my husbands choice. Turned out pretty! Thank you for the encouragement
smile.png

Yes, Pictures Please...
love.gif

It still amazes me that you can get ANYBODY to line up in a row like that.
ep.gif

I would like to get growing up pictures of that yellow headed boy - very different coloring - interesting to watch what he grows up like... I have no clue on what makes a good Golden Cuckoo - but I think he is handsome already. He is the one I would pick.. just because he is different.
That guy caught my eye right away! Even my friend who doesn't know a thing about chickens picked him out as her favorite! Should be interesting to see how he turns out. If I decide to let him go you have first say on taking him
wink.png

I guess I'll have to do the smash the egg in a ziplock to check it out...today is day 21 should I wait a couple of days extra?
What did you see when you candled them? If there is a chick inside, it will be all dark by now. If you see nothing but light through the egg, it's a dud.

Thanks Happy Chooks and Ronott1. I have not retreated yet. It has only been 5 days since the first worming so I will do the 2nd treatment on Saturday. Then withhold the eggs again for another 14 days after that?
Yup.

Just an FYI for fun. This is the boy who caused oopsies. I was gathering eggs about 4 1/2 weeks ago for that hatch. He was hatched abt July 4. Dec 4 = 5 months old. I'd say 14 weeks is right on for that oops. The escapee incident was in late Sept or Early Oct. He is turning out to be worth keeping
big_smile.png

Nice lookin' boy.

Congrats. Chickee! That's a great hatch rate. Are they from local eggs, your own hens or shipped?
Thanks :) They are from my Golden Cuckoo Marans pullets I hatched this year from shipped eggs. I decided to do a test hatch to see what my GCM rooster I got from a friend x my pullets produce. They have been laying for less than 2 months so I am surprised I got such a good hatch. New pictures I just took . . . These are the girls~ These are the boys~ They were less cooperative :lol: What good little girls, and the boys, well.......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom