California - Northern

@debs_flock Oh look what I started.
Nicobar are obtainable & medium-easy to keep (I know a breeder locally). Those colors only show like that in direct overhead sunshine. Its funny that you like the nicobars but you think diamonds eye rings are creepy - most people think nicobars look like mini vultures.They have a neat deep-voiced coo too.
Fruit pigeons are a whole other level. They need misters, permanent heat lamps, fresh fruit every day, and are $$$ and hard to find good fertile pairs. Even experienced dove/pigeon people are wary.
How about a turkey-sized pigeon? Look up Victorian Crowned Pigeon. Im on my phone or id post a link. Their coo sounds like a cow lowing. Their baby looks like a big black tarantula when it hatches. A wing slap will break bones in your hand. But some a really tame and follow you like a puppy.

Cool, you never know if something is actually available in the hobby. I assumed the iridescence was just like with a black chicken.

NO, vultures are cool. If I could keep an Andean vulture, I'd be there!

OMG, now I want a Victorian Crowned Pigeon. It would go perfectly with the Impeyan Pheasants I've always wanted.

Last edited:
Cool, you never know is something is actually available in the hobby.  I assumed the iridescence was just like with a black chicken.

NO, vultures are cool.  If I could keep an Andean vulture, I'd be there!

OMG, now I want a Victorian Crowned Pigeon.  It would go perfectly with the Impeyan Pheasants I've always wanted.

Yes, Nicobar ridescence is vey similar to black chickens but more intense.
Funny you should mention Impeyans. They are like a peacock with nicobar feathering (just the boys). They LOVE to dig dig dig so you have to design their enclosure accordingly. I have a friend in Pt Reyes that might still have them.

question! my family rescued some of those battery cage hens... I will have to get out the calendar but this is the first time in 8 years that we have had sick chickens. and they may have started getting sick after those battery hens were introduced. any extra info is greatly appreciated. like I said, this is our first time dealing with sick hens.
I am so sorry to hear that!

Hopefully your flock is resistant to it. ILT is a Herpes Virus so you cannot treat it with Anti biotics since they kill bacterial infections.

This Article: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/poultry/facts/ilt.htm says to separate the sick ones and Clean, Clean, Clean....

The best thing to to is to keep the flock as healthy as possible. Lots of fresh water, vitamins and electrolytes and etc.

Try to reduce stress like heat too by using Fans, misters, plenty of shade and even things like ice in the water fountains in the Afternoon.

Best!

Last edited:
Mostly still just lurking in the shadows here. But I just have to share....................... Sex linked...........

BLUE ICE CREAM BARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mostly still just lurking in the shadows here. But I just have to share....................... Sex linked...........

BLUE ICE CREAM BARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!! I definitely think so. Blue Isbar rooster over Cream Legbar hens.
They look Amazing!

Keep posting pictures as the grow up.

I was wondering why I hadn't heard from UC Davis yet regarding my blood sample results, so I called and they said that something about the blood serum was reacting with something so they had to send it off to another lab of theirs, the Turloc? lab if I remember right. They said the blood sample is still viable and I could hear back as early as tonight, if not tonight then early next week. I'm so anxious waiting for the results.

Looks like perfect distribution too. which is which?

The lighter ones are pullets and darker with head spots cockerels. This is per nicalandia here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/727364/a-bielefelder-thread/380#post_13232925
They look Amazing!

Keep posting pictures as the grow up.
I will for as long as they are here, the pullets are all promised away already. I am trying to decide if I will hatch more this summer, we have been incubating since Xmas and thought we would be done after this.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom