California - Northern

hey please help me out. I have D'uccles hatching. It began at 10:30 last night. The one egg started first, & had a tiny hole in it, but no real cracks. It hasn't zipped at all. I took tweezers and just wiggled the hole so it could get some cracks to help it zip. What else should I do?

I would leave it alone for 24 hours from the pip. They will often do that and then sit there because they need to absorb the yolk.

Now it depends on the size of the hole. If too big, moisture will be lost too quickly and the chick may get stuck. Look for the membrane turning brown at the pip. The best thing to do is to watch the egg. If you saw the beak and it was clear of liquid, then let it sit.

Look for Sally Sunshines Guide to assisted hatching.

The humidity is 72% & the beak/airway is clear. The hole is small and round. I didn't make it any bigger, I just cracked around it so the little guy can try and pip...

the last thing I wanna do is peel the shell off and hatch it. I just wanna know if I should provide a little but of a helping hand

You are doing great so far!

The less you do the better. They will usually get going on their own any way so I practice sitting on my hands. If they do not hatch, they often have health problems.

Hi Im Toby
He looks SO sweet! Congratulations!
big_smile.png

You are doing great so far!

The less you do the better. They will usually get going on their own any way so I practice sitting on my hands. If they do not hatch, they often have health problems.

The chick is out! I think it just needed a little help. It had a perfect round pip but no cracks around it to help the zip. I think I did just enough cracking for him to get out!

Back
Top Bottom