California - Northern

I am liking the cooler weather. There were some rain drops in Woodland yesterday!

I am hoping to get my UofA Blues back this weekend. It will be nice but I did have to re arrange some chickens and pens yesterday. The Amelias are back with the layers and there pen has been cleaned up for them.

Happy Monday!

LL

We are getting some good rain this morning. The air smell so good!

I just want to cuss, cry, and hit things. I've lost two of my hens, and now our indoor-only cat, Buddy, has vanished. He's gone. I searched the house, my sister searched the house, my two brothers searched the house, and even my DOG searched the house. He's not there. His collar was found 3 streets down. We don't know how he got out. Even when he does get out, he wants back inside right away. We think he was stolen. He's probably being used as bait for fighting dogs...Why is all of this happening to me?

I just want to cuss, cry, and hit things. I've lost two of my hens, and now our indoor-only cat, Buddy, has vanished. He's gone. I searched the house, my sister searched the house, my two brothers searched the house, and even my DOG searched the house. He's not there. His collar was found 3 streets down. We don't know how he got out. Even when he does get out, he wants back inside right away. We think he was stolen. He's probably being used as bait for fighting dogs...Why is all of this happening to me?
hugs.gif
Sorry you lost the kittie!

Inside Cats can be a bit dense when they get outside. I have had them get stuck in things. One was stuck in an old abandoned swamp cooler at the neighbors place. The cat could not get out because of the fan cage!

One of our current cats gets scared and tries to hide behind the shed. He is so big that he gets stuck there. He has done this twice this year.

The collar was probably a break away collar? He may have just lost it. Start checking places that a cat might get stuck. A good way to do this is to call for him and listen for his reply.

I hope you find him!

< HUGS >

My super scaredy indoor only cat got out once (slipped through a window cracked 1.5") and something scared him when he was outside. In his scrambling, he couldn't get back in the same way he came out, so he bolted. I cried and cried, thinking a raccoon or dog or even one of the bully outside cats was going to get him.

Two evenings later, he came to the screen door, bawling to be let in. He smelled like mildew and dirt, so we think he was hiding under a deck or in a shed the whole time, but otherwise no worse for wear.

Like Ron said, indoor only kitties can sometimes be a bit illogical, but will find their way back or cry for help. Is he microchipped? I hope you find him!!

Last edited:

Oh my, I'm so sorry. Will be praying your kitty finds his way home!

[COLOR=333333](I posted this in Bay Area, and realized I meant to do so here)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]This may be a noob question, but here goes: should the pop door between my coop and secure run be opened/closed daily?  Right now I'm opening it in the morning to let the girls out and closing them in at dusk.  The coop and run has secured 1/2" hardware cloth on all sides, doors, vents, even under the floor wedged into the foundation.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]This isn't so much of an issue when we are home, but we are going on a 10 day vacation in August, and I'm trying to determine what instructions to leave our friends who are gracious enough to take care of the chickies and our cats.  We are in Alameda, so the weather is mild, if a bit breezy in the evening.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Thanks for the advice in advance![/COLOR]

I'd say most people HAVE to close the door. I have a top on mine, but it's not predator proof.
I've left mine open for 14 years and no problems with night predators.
But that's my location. We have a 8 ft fence and coyotes keep everything out of the fields. Plus the dogs have free range .
There are some things around but it's mostly to my advantage.
The skunk had to be deterred away this spring . And once we had a fox run into our property trying to hide when a car came by.
No losses .
But at our old place was a very different story. If I lived anywhere else, it would all be shut at night. Many folks in town have it the worst, and just don't realize it

Hopefully he will come home soon. Indoor cats have not had the opportunity to learn about the scary thingsz outside. Hopefully he is just hiding and will find his way hme when he gets hungry enough.

Quote: He does...doesn't he?
roll.png

Anyone interested in f1 barred OEGB cockerels? I've got plenty to go around
wink.png
. Send me a PM if interested! They are starting to fight each other.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Toby is a real sweet boy. he is about 6-7 months old and has never had a family . He was part of a Puppy mill and along with the other dogs they couldn't sell where just caged and fed. he was not lite at least and is very healthy. with Black and Tan Coonhounds people want them with more black on the face and legs so more tan is harder to sell I guess.
There is a lot of love in those eye though

Back
Top Bottom