California - Northern

Thanks for posting the video.

:hugs  

Does she have use of the legs? It is very hard to tell if it is something like Initial mareks, brain or other nerve injury or a toxin from something.

A necropsy would tell much more.

No use of the legs. They did get a chicken carcass a few days ago. Could a bone ingested do this?

I had a young cockerel like this. :( He passed away a couple days later, and I still don't know what his problem was. Praying your pullet pulls through! 

Oh...that doesn't sound promising. .:(
If she passes, I would definitely suggest sending her to Davis.

I don't think they are supposed to have white earlobes.

Walt

Oh...I hadn't even noticed that.

Thanks for posting the video.

:hugs  

Does she have use of the legs? It is very hard to tell if it is something like Initial mareks, brain or other nerve injury or a toxin from something.

A necropsy would tell much more.

I will send if she dies for sure

Ayam Cemani, 'Cemani Silkies', and "USA Ameraucana" chicks... pretty steep price for a slightly fancier version of a barnyard mix.

Oh, excuse me, their Ayam Cemani stock is 'Ayam Cemani descent'. So add in another mystery breed?

I know.....I couldn't believe the ad..

Sorry about your girl. :hugs

Thank you....

Ayam Cemani, 'Cemani Silkies', and "USA Ameraucana" chicks... pretty steep price for a slightly fancier version of a barnyard mix.

Oh, excuse me, their Ayam Cemani stock is 'Ayam Cemani descent'. So add in another mystery breed?

LOL! No kidding!

Quote:
Nor are the eggs blue!
roll.png

This is the chronic seller that claims to have crossed with all kinds of birds for vitality!

BTW Walt, congrats at fair with the Egyptian!

Last edited:
No use of the legs. They did get a chicken carcass a few days ago. Could a bone ingested do this?
It sounds more like Marks. If so , they will sometimes recover from the paralysis but it is important to keep them hydrated and eating.

Showing signs of initial mareks does not indicate that she will get the secondary cancer later. Mareks is every where so you can expect up to 5% of chickens to get the cancer part starting at about Two years old.

It sounds more like Marks. If so , they will sometimes recover from the paralysis but it is important to keep them hydrated and eating.

Showing signs of initial mareks does not indicate that she will get the secondary cancer later. Mareks is every where so you can expect up to 5% of chickens to get the cancer part starting at about Two years old.

She looks to be at the age when this form of Marek's appears and it does look very much like Marek's to me. But that shouldn't stop one from trying to treat for other things, like a B2 or E deficiency. Do you have any Rooster Booster Poultry Cell? You could try giving some of that and a couple of vitamin E drops. The amount of Rooster Booster I use is .2ml per 100 grams.

Note that I said Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, not Poultry Cell. You need something with B2.

-Kathy

Lockdown last night! It's been amazing to me how much easier this 2nd try at incubating has been for me. I think the full bator has made a big difference; and the tube I ran thru one of the bottom vents into the water reservoir to fill from. I've only opened it 5 times since I set them. Final count at lockdown: 3/4 GCM (1 I was unsure of, it looked a little "bright" for day 18 but I left it anyway) 3/6 BCM, 1/3 SFH (saw it rocking this morning
celebrate.gif
) 3/4 CLB and 5/11 bantam Cochin (1/3 white; 4/8 mixed color)
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Next round I need a better candling light...and some Pita Pintas
hide.gif
That's great! Hope they all hatch for you.....
thumbsup.gif

Quote: Does her presence in the flock put the others any more at risk? I had a FBCM Marans with similar symptoms about a year or so back, She spent the next 3 weeks in a dog crate being hand fed and did slowly regain the use of her legs. I had assumed an injury then. She still walks a little funny though, but otherwise seems healthy

Quote: She looks to be at the age when this form of Marek's appears and it does look very much like Marek's to me. But that shouldn't stop one from trying to treat for other things, like a B2 or E deficiency. Do you have any Rooster Booster Poultry Cell? You could try giving some of that and a couple of vitamin E drops. The amount of Rooster Booster I use is .2ml per 100 grams.

Note that I said Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, not Poultry Cell. You need something with B2.

-Kathy
I don't have any but just ordered some on Amazon. It will be here Friday

That's great! Hope they all hatch for you.....
thumbsup.gif

Does her presence in the flock put the others any more at risk? I had a FBCM Marans with similar symptoms about a year or so back, She spent the next 3 weeks in a dog crate being hand fed and did slowly regain the use of her legs. I had assumed an injury then. She still walks a little funny though, but otherwise seems healthy
No, they all have or have had mareks. Most will not show symptoms.

If she recovers, put a special band on her and do not use her for breeding. She does not have much resistance to Mareks. (if that is what she has).

Added: Since you do not know exactly what she has, keep her separated from the flock until she has not more symptoms or two weeks or so.

Last edited:
Hey I live around 30miles from Yosemite National Park. Anyone heard of Oakhurst? Well I'm finally ready for a new duckling after Crackers and I was wondering if anyone near by was giving/selling fertile eggs (2) or any ducklings under 2weeks old (2)

Sorry to hear about the critter raids and sickly chickens, I just found our lone A&M quail with a bloody eye. He's now in a crate in the laundry room and we'll see how he does.

Gearing up for fair here, 100° or close, we can't seem to catch a break on the heat.

Good to hear that fires aren't affecting to many. We have one going out our way but the smoke is blowing toward the coast for a change. As I type a cloud is darkening our area and blocking satellite reception. We have T-storms in the forecast for the next 4 days, cloud to cloud would be nice since everything is tinder dry.

Last edited:
Quote: I will keep her in the crate in the house. I don't/can't have roosters so the breeding part is no problem. She is a "meat bird" so she wasn;t going to be around long. If she recovers, she will need to re-gain some weight. Would it be safe to eat her when she has recovered if it is Marek's?

Hey I live around 30miles from Yosemite National Park. Anyone heard of Oakhurst? Well I'm finally ready for a new duckling after Crackers and I was wondering if anyone near by was giving/selling fertile eggs (2) or any ducklings under 2weeks old (2)
Welcome to the group!
welcome-byc.gif
. I have heard of Oakjurst. Hope the fire is not impacting you. Good luck in your search.

Sorry to hear about the critter raids and sickly chickens, I just found our lone A&M quail with a bloody eye. He's now in a crate in the laundry room and we'll see how he does.

Gearing up for fair here, 100° or close, we can't seem to catch a break on the heat.

Good to hear that fires aren't affecting to many. We have one going out our way but the smoke is blowing toward the coast for a change. As I type a cloud is darkening our area and blocking satellite reception. We have T-storms in the forecast for the next 4 days, cloud to cloud would be nice since everything is tinder dry.
My A&M that got scalped has recovered very well and is even getting some feathering back on the area. They seem to heal well without much intervention. He had a bloody eye that was swollen completely shut. Hope yours heals well.

Maybe you will get lucky and get some rain with those T-storms

Back
Top Bottom