California - Northern

Sad this evening. My husband is finally calling it and putting down one of my gold laced orpington hens. She's been unable to lay for I dont know how long. She tries to lay and the egg breaks inside her and the egg innards sowly just leak out. Then the shell less membrane would come out a little and I would just pull it out the rest of the way. She's been slowly getting sicker and sicker. Today she spent allllll day in the nest and was almost dead when I got her out. I've been trying everything. Oyster shell, and all that stuff and no improvement. Poor girl

I am so sorry. Is this one of the Greenfire Adults you bought this fall or winter?
hugs.gif
A good animal "husband" knows when it is time to help them out of this life. I had a couple of girls with laying issues and it was tough to let them go but I had to. It doesn't really make it easier but you did the right thing.

Consensus seems to be that all 3 of the AM/EE eggs that hatched are pullets so yay for that! I have a woman coming in a few days who actually wants a cockerel and pullets. I hope she takes the Ice Cream Bar boy from laura,,,he is an amazing little love. I have 3-4 pullets to offer her too.

Did the math today and it looks like I will have about 26 hens and 3 roosters when the feathers settle. Roosters include one Bantam one NH and one to be determined from the current cockerel assembly. I think keeping it around 30 is reasonable don't you?? of course the Bantam rooster and my three bantam girls don't count for full chickens so really I will only have 27..leaving room for a few more Pita Pintas and some D'Uccles and Bantam Cochins. Maybe 40 is a more reasonable number??

Last edited:
Hey I live around 30miles from Yosemite National Park. Anyone heard of Oakhurst? Well I'm finally ready for a new duckling after Crackers and I was wondering if anyone near by was giving/selling fertile eggs (2) or any ducklings under 2weeks old (2)

welcome-byc.gif

Sad this evening. My husband is finally calling it and putting down one of my gold laced orpington hens. She's been unable to lay for I dont know how long. She tries to lay and the egg breaks inside her and the egg innards sowly just leak out. Then the shell less membrane would come out a little and I would just pull it out the rest of the way. She's been slowly getting sicker and sicker. Today she spent allllll day in the nest and was almost dead when I got her out. I've been trying everything. Oyster shell, and all that stuff and no improvement. Poor girl
So sorry, it's never an easy decision.
hugs.gif

Did the math today and it looks like I will have about 26 hens and 3 roosters when the feathers settle. Roosters include one Bantam one NH and one to be determined from the current cockerel assembly. I think keeping it around 30 is reasonable don't you?? of course the Bantam rooster and my three bantam girls don't count for full chickens so really I will only have 27..leaving room for a few more Pita Pintas and some D'Uccles and Bantam Cochins. Maybe 40 is a more reasonable number??
Sounds like my kind of math!

So sorry... When mine do that I give them a massive dose of calcium, either Calcium Gluconate from Tractor Supply or regular human calcium. I do that for a few days and that usually fixes them. The oral dose I give is 100mg-200mg per 2.2 pounds.

-Kathy

Last edited:
So sorry... When mine do that I give them a massive dose of calcium, either Calcium Gluconate from Tractor Supply or regular human calcium. I do that for a few days and that usually fixes them. The oral dose I give is 100mg-200mg per 2.2 pounds. -Kathy
Thank you, Kathy! I'll stock up on this for next time :( I have used the human kind on them as well as the oyster shell but had t seen that injectable. I appreciate it

Chickengirl, so sorry about your girl. We fight for them as long as we can and then give them grace when the time comes. We all know it's not an easy thing to do.

I got home from a meeting tonight and peeked in on the quail with the bloody eye. He's watching me with the bad one so I guess it's not as bad as it looks.

She is a "meat bird" so she wasn;t going to be around long. If she recovers, she will need to re-gain some weight. Would it be safe to eat her when she has recovered if it is Marek's?
It may just be a busted leg. (if you don't see any other symptoms) I had 2 meaties that were much smaller than the rest and both had a bum leg that would stick straight out behind them. They never did regain the weight, so I processed them.

I'm sorry.
sad.png

It may just be a busted leg. (if you don't see any other symptoms) I had 2 meaties that were much smaller than the rest and both had a bum leg that would stick straight out behind them. They never did regain the weight, so I processed them.

I'm sorry.
sad.png
Since she was 14 weeks and the Roo tried to mount her it could be something like this. May have gotten hurt in the process because she is so young.

Quote: I don't think she it is the leg. She can't stand period...and the toes are all curled up. She isn't a Cornish X, but a "Home bred" meat bird from eggs I bought. Rock/Cornis/ Wyandotte crox. SHe is not heavy bird....probably not really going to be ready for another several weeks. SHe did drink pretty well this morning, but only a few bites of eggs

Back
Top Bottom