California - Northern

I am pretty slow. It ended up taking me about 2 hours. I got them killed, scalded and 2 of them fully plucked outside. I was almost done plucking #3 whenr the meat bees started showing up so I had to make a quick exodus into the house to finish up.

I did not have any rigor issues either. They start to get a bit stiff, but they are still workable.

No problem. I think we had 2 similar lines of discussion going and it would be very easy to do. You did have the age right!
thumbsup.gif

That's about all mine can take too. I am OCD about the pin feathers too and that is what takes me so long. I have to do the kill too. DH informed me he would NOT be doing that when I got the first CX chicks. I wasn't sure I could do it, but now I have done 18 chickens and 9 quail. It doesn't bother me anymore.

My 2 hours included the set-up and clean-up

She does seem to be able to move the legs and feet some....just can't get them under her or balance. I had her out to feed/water her and she was able to get the feet flat on the floor with me supporting her and also able to grip my finger. She is drinking well, but not much interested in eating. I may have to tube feed her.

Great poster! Thanks for posting it. Ron...were you able to find the file about when it is safe to eat chickens?
I cannot find It!

Sorry.

Quote:
It takes me two hours, but since DH does the kill and tosses the trash with feathers, etc. and puts away the outside stuff, maybe add another 15 minutes. But literally, the last hour I'm picking at every minute pin feather. Partly because most of the birds I process have dark feathers, but most because I'm OCD. I'm sure we've all eaten LOTS of pin feathers in store bought birds without even knowing it.

I know on my recent trip to the UK, I swear there were still some major feathers left in the chicken parts I bought at Tesco's.

@chiqita Here is a picture of the Showgirl I took today. She is soooo cute!!!!!

Edited to correct spelling errors
Absolutely adorable stinking chick!

It does look to be more of what they call a sizzle. Those don't look like silkied feathers. Nice dark skin!

But I'll bet she's beautiful when she grows up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom