California - Northern

Bang for the buck, Valbazen (albendazole) at 0.2ml per 2.2 pounds is the better choice, but Safeguard (fenbendazole) liquid or paste at 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds will also work.

-Kathy
ok, i went ahead and ordered it. Got a sweater Heater while i was at it and a vacc splitting kit. Dr Peter brown answered the phone! was like talking to a celebrity, lol.

Quick question: would it be a poor idea to use an acrylic sheet for a chicken pop door? My current door is a bit heavy for the auto pop door opener, and I'm trying to think of solutions for lighter doors. I would think aluminum sheeting would be best, but I don't have the correct tools to cut it to the right size and I would be concerned that I wouldn't be able to find it thick enough. A 1/2" or so thick sheet of acrylic may be light enough, but I don't know if that would cause issues I'm not aware of. The door is currently made of plywood and fir, and it sits in vertical channels inside the coop. It opens into a secured run.

Any and all tips, warnings, ideas are appreciated!

Quick question: would it be a poor idea to use an acrylic sheet for a chicken pop door? My current door is a bit heavy for the auto pop door opener, and I'm trying to think of solutions for lighter doors. I would think aluminum sheeting would be best, but I don't have the correct tools to cut it to the right size and I would be concerned that I wouldn't be able to find it thick enough. A 1/2" or so thick sheet of acrylic may be light enough, but I don't know if that would cause issues I'm not aware of. The door is currently made of plywood and fir, and it sits in vertical channels inside the coop. It opens into a secured run.

Any and all tips, warnings, ideas are appreciated!
Polycarbonate might be a better choice?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/LEXAN-12-in-x-24-in-Clear-Polycarbonate-Sheet-GE-33/202038063

-Kathy

Edited to add: It's shatterproof, that's why I think it might be a better choice.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
While I agree they are pretty, if cacklejoy is sex linking with a black Ameraucana roo and Barred Rock hens, I believe the barred EEs would be male.
You are correct :) I've been learning as I go. My first batch wasn't intended to be SL, I wanted the cuckoo girls. Ended up with mostly boys. Horrible hatches. Anyway, this time around I have a different rooster (black AM who isn't SOP, has leakage so makes a good experiment) and am hoping for some SL chicks. If I get a good cuckoo EE cockerel I plan to save him and make some more barred EE's.
I like the barring and bearded hens make me happy
love.gif

I am just back from picking up UofA pullets. I was supposed to pick up the original hens I sent out there but they were not there. The Rooster was killed a couple of days ago too.

I have one though. They will need some time to get going but it will be nice to have them back here again.
How disappointing to discover losses. Glad you are getting them back and going again. I always like your pictures.

So many really rare birds in this group makes the photos fun!

Anytime.

What shocked me is that this woman just stood there while her kid was busy trying to rock the cage back and forth. She didn't intervene at all.
I'm afraid I would have made a scene. (Enter emocon with steam coming out of its head)
Good for you for at least bringing the behavior to her attention. What's bad is that these spoiled untrained kids become adults who can't makes sense of a world that doesn't revolve around their base behavior. What??!! You mean I can get HURT by this animal?

I grew up with a pit bull that defied the stories. She was my mom's resident babysitter. She'd say to the dog "Delilah, watch the kids, don't let them get near the sidewalk." And then mom could hang up clothes on the line or whatever. She was there but not always watching (you know how it is). Well the dog would lay down and NOT TAKE HER EYES OFF of us kids. My brothers were 16 months apart and really busy. We never got hurt and the dog would keep us on the grass. ENTER NEIGHBOR KID. This kid was a mess, an absolute bully, and he would forever poke sticks through the holes in the fence and torment the dog. My parents complained and nothing happened. They would tell the neighbor lady that some day the dog would get fed up and that kid had it coming. The day came. The dog gave chase barking and growling. The kid ran and cried. The dog could have easily caught him sooner but she let him run awhile and then very gently nipped him in the rear. He was humiliated in front of the entire neighborhood. Honestly, the guy across the street was outside laughing as our dog trotted home.

Animals know when they are being tormented.

My DW was on a motorcycle fundraiser ride yesterday and a car made an unsafe lane change--They were going about 40. She did a fairly good tuck and roll but did break her wrist. She will be having surgery this morning unless it is bumped.

Boy is she going to be sore for some time!
Ron, those sort of things are always scary! I've followed your posts and you are blessed to have a brave wife. Good for her wanting to get back on the bike. Hope she gets completely healed in a timely manner!
Anyone interested in Barred OEGB cockerels?
smile.png
Send me a PM!
Okay those are just totally cool looking birds! No OEGB here but I do like how they look. Very nice!
Do you breed and sell silkies? I get requests and need a place to refer people to.
One setback tonight: I tried to install my new auto pop door opener, and the cord came off the motor completely - ARGH! It's my fault too, I accidentally increased friction instead of decreasing it. What a basic, silly mistake, ugh. Luckily I think I can fix it... Which is good because we are supposed to leave for vacation next week and I don't want to spend my entire vacation anxious about the girls. Not to mention the contraption wasn't cheap
sad.png
Wish me luck!
Oooooh good idea! Wonder if I could get one that is solar powered?

Anyone between here and fresno need chicks or eggs or quail?

Mario is going up for work tomorrow.
I'm interested in eggs. Realize I may have missed the window but I'd love to know if there's a next time. I'm looking for fertile eggs that I can hatch to raise money for my last big tuition. Is Modesto en route?
Polycarbonate might be a better choice?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/LEXAN-12-in-x-24-in-Clear-Polycarbonate-Sheet-GE-33/202038063

-Kathy

Edited to add: It's shatterproof, that's why I think it might be a better choice.
big_smile.png
Polycarbonate automatic chick doors. I sense a life changer here. It's also a big project for my long suffering husband! Hmmm, maybe I'll wait and ask about this AFTER the next chicken duplex is installed.

Polycarbonate automatic chick doors.  I sense a life changer here.  It's also a big project for my long suffering husband!  Hmmm, maybe I'll wait and ask about this AFTER the next chicken duplex is installed.

Haha! I will let you know how it goes. I picked up a sheet of Lexan at lunch, and will install it today or tomorrow. It's fairly light - I may need to add weights if it's too light and can be easily pushed up by grubby raccoon mitts.

How disappointing to discover losses. Glad you are getting them back and going again. I always like your pictures.

I'm afraid I would have made a scene. (Enter emocon with steam coming out of its head)
Good for you for at least bringing the behavior to her attention. What's bad is that these spoiled untrained kids become adults who can't makes sense of a world that doesn't revolve around their base behavior. What??!! You mean I can get HURT by this animal?

Ron, those sort of things are always scary! I've followed your posts and you are blessed to have a brave wife. Good for her wanting to get back on the bike. Hope she gets completely healed in a timely manner!
Thanks!

We are back from the Hospital and she is settling in.

Back
Top Bottom